Gah! This is my third attempt at making this block, and I sooooo hope it will be the last!
First up I was needle turning the original star shape, and though I'm pretty good at the needle turn technique, with my acrylic nails I just couldn't manipulate the fabric well enough to make nice sharp points.
Then I decided to head down the path of fusible applique with machine blanket stitch. Which was fine until I removed the paper from the back of the stars - all the raw edges of the stars shredded! Grrr ...
So now I've chosen a completely different star shape, and I've changed how they're laid out on the block, and I'm back with the needle turn again. I've done an inner and an outer point, and so far so good ... let's hope the third time's a charm!