Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Block 3 - Seven Sisters ... almost ...

Gah! This is my third attempt at making this block, and I sooooo hope it will be the last!


First up I was needle turning the original star shape, and though I'm pretty good at the needle turn technique, with my acrylic nails I just couldn't manipulate the fabric well enough to make nice sharp points.

Then I decided to head down the path of fusible applique with machine blanket stitch. Which was fine until I removed the paper from the back of the stars - all the raw edges of the stars shredded! Grrr ...

So now I've chosen a completely different star shape, and I've changed how they're laid out on the block, and I'm back with the needle turn again. I've done an inner and an outer point, and so far so good ... let's hope the third time's a charm!

5 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Good to read how you keep on going. You've got NO Quit in you my friend. NO Quit. You have a more easy going approach (in your voice) when things go awry. It seems that way to me.

debbie m said...

I don't remember what the original star shape looked like, but I do not like inside points at all! I took a Baltimore Album class a few years ago. It was taught over several months. One of the best things I learned for needle turn at that class was to draw my shapes onto the fabric but not cut them out. Cut about an inch or so ahead of where you are sewing. It prevented the applique fabrics from fraying while handling the block during applique. I hope that makes sense, and I know it isn't going to help you right now since you already have your stars cut out.
YOU do awesome work, and I'm sure no one else will be looking close enough to see any tiny imperfections. Blessings

Linda said...

Your block looks good. I like the dark background!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of hand blanket stitch with vleisofix. Whatever works LOL. Your blocks are lovely.

Sue said...

I had a hard time with that one, too. I thought I was a needle turn genius, but I guess not, ha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails