Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wide brown land & Starstruck blocks

On Wednesday, Marty decided to take Cam for a mini-break to Yalpara Station. It's in the mid-north of our state, I guess around a three to four hour drive from our home. Here's Cam collecting rocks, in the subsequent pictures he was throwing the rocks down the hill. There is a darker stripe in the picture just before the hills in the distance. That is where the homestead is. It's a huge property, quite historic, and owned by family members.

Marty has to go back to work on Monday after having five weeks of his long service leave, so this was some time out for him before it's back to the grind.

And here is what I've been working on. I have made only eight of the blocks I need, and only four of the half blocks. I still have seventeen full blocks, more half blocks and some quarter blocks to make. You're only seeing two of the colour combinations here, but there will be a lot more red prints and star prints. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes along.

Linda may find this quilt familiar ... and Donna and Karen too! :-)

I haven't actually had much quilting time in the last few days, in fact not much free time at all, hence the couple of days between posts. Cam and Amy have been super busy and I've been doing the Mum's Taxi routine. Cam has two birthday parties this weekend, we have a 40th tonight, as well as Auskick, and two netball games, my time is not my own!

I better get back to doing some chores, there is laundry screaming for attention ... have a great weekend everyone!

15 comments:

Fiona said...

The quilt top looks interesting - and the piecing looks very precise!

Vicki W said...

Love those blocks - the colors are great!

Unknown said...

The star blocks are lovely - can't wait to see all of them

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - yeppers, wide open spaces. You know, that looks a lot like where I live, out in the wide open spaces. Of course, I live in a 'regular' town, but look at my October 2006 posting photos - really, it is very similar to yours! Sooooo much sky!

Stars are lovely and soft -- so very pretty!

Finn said...

Hi Tazzie, what a neat picture! Love the colors of your Ohio Star blocks, they look old and mellow. I'm sure it will be a great quilt! Hugs, Finn

Shelina said...

Great picture of Cam. I'm sure he loved spending time with Marty and do guy things. The quilt blocks look lovely. They do have a nice old fashioned look to them.

mereth said...

Wow Tassie, Yalpara is a blast from the past. Keryn and I went there in about 1973 with some old family friends called the Prests from Pt Pirie. I adored the place and have never forgotten that day, it was SO Australian and the homestead had so many stories attached to it. I know Keryn will be blown away by that reference too, odd how connections crop up like that!

Jeanne said...

Love your star blocks, Tazzie! It will be a great quilt, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tazzie, your star blocks are so stunning ! I love the colors you are using, and >I guess they're part of the whole "magic" in that quilt ! GREAT job !

Hugs & smiles !
NADINE

Rose Johnston said...

Hope the guys had a great time!!!...im such a fan of ur quilts and im loving this one already!!!.....its great to be busy, but its better to be sewing up a storm!!!!

Vicky said...

What a wonderful picture of your son! I can't even remember those kinds of open spaces, it's been so long since I've seen them!

Your quilt is lovely! Just beautiful!

Lisa D. said...

I love your newest quilt project - very traditional. Can't wait to watch it grow.

Carol E. said...

Your son is in perfect boy country.. sand, rocks, open spaces. Paradise for a boy that age. And your quilt is very pretty. That's my favorite star pattern to make.

Susan said...

Love the quilt blocks, still. The landscape pic looks so much like some of my favorite desert in southern New Mexico, and in western California.

sewprimitive karen said...

Cam is a doll. Love how his clothes echo the colors of that (vast) landscape.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails