Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mats make great gifts!

Cam's wonderful day care lady is on holidays this week. We just love Christine, and hope she's having a wonderful time away.

So that I have been able to work my few hours at the quilt store this week, our 'sort of' relatives John and Janet looked after Cameron this morning and will look after him again tomorrow morning.

I wanted to make them a little something to say thank you, so last night I started putting together some placemats for them. I already had a strip of prairie braid put together from the other two sets of placemats I made, so they were fast to assemble. I didn't have the perfect thread to quilt them, so I got that at the quilt store today. I just finished the binding a few minutes ago, and thought I'd share them with you.

The main fabric in the mats is a Thimbleberries Club fabric from 2004. It's from the bag project which I never got to making. I don't really love the bag, so I'm giving myself permission not to make the projects I don't like so much, and use the fabrics in things I do like. It's was really quite a weight lifted from me when I made that decision. I made seven of the projects that year, and I think there is only one more of them that I will make - the December project.

The back of the fabric was from my stash, and I pieced the batt from leftovers, so the mats really were another stashbusting project! I'm loving getting thru the stash!

Well, I should run, as it's almost midnight here - I do have more I want to tell you all, but I'm just too tired right now, it's been a big day. Have a great day! x o x

11 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Love those placemats! What a kind gift. Any tips for piecing batting? I've never done it and I'm accumulating more scraps than I can use in my oasters!!

tami said...

Very nice gift. I love your placemats. I'll watch Cameron. Bring him on over. :-D

Melanie said...

Cute placemats. I recently came to grips and went through my basket of "projects yet to be". I evaluated and there were some I knew would never be. Over time, it's OK, your tastes and styles change. We'd never try new things if they didn't. Lucky lady, your day care girl.

Unknown said...

What a lovely gift - and if you show your appreciation in that manner you don't feel guilty about calling on them for help another time

Vicki W said...

What a nice gift! I love the pattern you chose - it works really well with the fabrics.

Ms. Jan said...

With a gift like that, they are bound to babysit for you any old time, don't you think? Nice mats and pretty, pretty colors. =)

JoAnna said...

Congrats on the stash bustin! I might steal the beautiful design -- I love the simple, elegant things!

Susan said...

The placemats are great - what a nice thank you. I love your decision to use the fabrics and not do the projects you didn't really want to do. Very smart!

Kim said...

Oh, I made that tote and use it a lot for quilt classes and everyone always seems to like it, although to me, it's just OK. Somehow that year I got sidetracked around October, so I still have a few months worth of projects--and blocks for the BOM--to complete. I love your placemats though. That fairly plain fabric that you didn't use for the tote really sets off the braid strips.

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I just love your braid placematts! I have to remember to make those sometime!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails