Monday, April 02, 2007

Decisions made!

I have been playing around on the computer to come up with a border I'll be happy with on the blue and cream quilt. My thoughts were initially to have a fabulous blue border for the quilt, and I just don't have enough of any of the right blue fabric to do that.

My next thought was that I could use the same blue and cream blocks I've been making in the final border after adding the Thimbleberries stripe for an inner border to break it up. After thinking about that, I decided not to do it, as the inner border would mess up the graduation of the barn raising pattern going out into the border, and that would really bug me.

So, this is what I've come up with. I think I like it! It's growing on me the more I look at it. The border kind of reminds me of the tiling of the indoor swimming pool at Hearst Castle. I love the colours in that pool - so opulent.

I've started sewing strips together and cutting them apart to make the four patches ... then I'll sew them together to make eight patches and so on. There will likely be nothing left at all in blue and cream in my 2" strip box. So, this quilt is taking a new turn ... and it's still satisfying my urge to stash-bust. How fun!!

21 comments:

Kim said...

That looks great! I like the design! Great solution to the problem.

Patti said...

This border is perfect! I'm glad you came up with it.

Silverthimble said...

I LOVE your border choice! Much better than a plain blue border!

Fiona said...

Perfect solution - look forward to seeing the finished article.

ForestJane said...

Are you going to keep the subtle pattern I see there in the border, or make it totally scrappy? A lot of times, with EQ, I'll get a pattern I hadn't planned on, just from dropping in the same block. :)

Oh, expect a package sometime soon. :p

Jane

Hanne said...

Your quilt looks very good Tazzie. I am looking forward to see that border.

Joyce said...

The border looks fantastic. Great idea.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh that looks nice. I've done a border like that once before and it's great, because it's easy maths to figure it out :) Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Chookyblue...... said...

Looks great.
What do you use on your computer.
Can't wait to see it finished.

Rose Johnston said...

Wow!! i just love how u think Tazzie.......and design!!!

Teodo said...

This border is very good.
ciao ciao

Ms. Jan said...

Great idea! I always tend to slap on a solid border just to get done, rather than keep piecing =) Looks like it will be a great stash-buster.

Pam said...

It does look like the big indoor swimming pool at Hearst Castle. Wouldn't that be a cool place to go for a swim! Good idea for a border.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful plan! It will take some sewing to do but I don't think you'll ever regret the extra time you put in on it making it really spectacular.

Rose Marie said...

You'll be so glad you went with this border! So much better than plain fabric .. mind you that's OK too. I have a quilt where this border (only 2 rows of squares) was used and am so happy with it.

Helen said...

and if you use up all your cream and blue you will just have to go buy some more (grin). Doesn't count as breaking the diet if you don't have the required colour!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love it! I think that will be a perfect border! And gives me an idea on how to border a signature quilt I've got to make for dd#3 for HS graduation!

Melzie said...

Its going to look great Tazzie :) xoxo melzie

Anonymous said...

It's going to be stunning!

Anonymous said...

A great choice for the border - I love it. The whole quilt looks very complicated and the colour scheme is lovely :-)

Wendy said...

Wonderful blue and cream combinations. Can't wait to see the completed quilt with your new border design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails