Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Painted and dusted

In our lounge room we have this huuuuge wall unit. It's been in place since we've moved in, and because of it's size, it's unlikely to be moved until the day we move out. This presented a problem when I painted last year, I painted everything but the wall the unit is against, and it has bugged me since the day I packed away the rollers.

Our friend Jonnie is a painter, and when he painted my front door not so long ago, he saw my wall unit quandary. He offered me the loan of a tool he has, a tiny roller with a long handle. He suggested that it would ease my mind if I painted all around and rolled just behind the unit. My eyes would be fooled, and my sense of order restored. Sooo ... sans deadlines and commitments, yesterday was the day I could take this project on.

First up, I had to take down all my toys from the top of the unit, and here you see them on the floor. They were soooo dusty I couldn't believe I hadn't got them down and cleaned them earlier, and while lifting them down, I remembered why. Gosh they are just so darned heavy! And to think these were Singer's portables of the time!

I got busy with the painting and finished it all up before 1pm, so I could sit down with a coffee and watch Oprah while the paint dried. I'm so pleased with the result, and Jonnie is right, I know the wall isn't painted behind the unit, but it looks wonderful nonetheless. And after my puny arm muscles decided they were ready, I dusted and polished and then hefted the machines back up to their home. When they were in place I added a note to my shopping list ... swiffer, with a long handle.

16 comments:

Joyce said...

What a gorgeous wall unit. I can see why you don't want to move it. Nice to have painted all aronud it though.

Unknown said...

There are subtle cues in your home tipping off the visitor that this is the home of a quilter... LOL

Looks super!

Cher said...

hurray for finishing up that job-it sure looks great- and good luck with keeping your balls in the air! I can understand that feeling.

Silverthimble said...

I love your collection of "portable" antique sewing machines! What treasures.

Gail said...

I think that I need a wall unit like that- I have some old gems that are shoved out of the way, putting them on display like that would be perfect...except for the dusting! LOL

Saska said...

I'll call you when we get ready to paint!

Love the collection on the wall unit. Makes it look like SOMEBODY sews in the house! Looks good.

Darlene said...

I know you feel better now!

Wonderful collection of machines! Can we take them down to look at them closer when I come to visit?

teehee!

atet said...

Swiffer -- thank heavens for whoever invented that little gem. My only problem is actually USING it! What a great display of "portable" machines and good job keeping those balls in the air.

Laurie Ann said...

What a nice feeling to have that taken care of. Good job!

McIrish Annie said...

congrats on your paint job! I am like you in the clean up dept. Once I finish a quilt project, I have to tidy the sewing room and get things put back in place before moving to the next thing! Juggling is second nature to women I think!

I too am a huge fan of Crazy Aunt Purl. She can make me laugh like no one else!!

swooze said...

I loe your wall unit! You should show closeups of your machines.

sewprimitive karen said...

Yes, we would like to see those beautiful machines closer up. Aren't you glad you did that painting job, you never would have gotten over minding the unpainted parts.

ForestJane said...

Oh, no, don't get a swiffer... there's a much easier solution than that.

Simply knit a fuzzy sweater for your cat, spray it with Endust, then lift the cat onto the top shelf. The cat runs back and forth, trying to get out of the sweater, dusting the machines at the same time. :)

Greenmare said...

That is a beautiful wall unit! I'd love to come and peek at all your lovely things in there! Good job getting the wall painted!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE your toys! And they are so perfect sitting on your cabinet! Beautiful! Aren't swiffer's the best!

Lucy said...

OOhh I love your sewing machines !! I am a collector too! It is so hard to resist them :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails