Saturday, April 21, 2007

Coffee Runner

Last night I completed my coffee table runner to the stage where I'm ready to hand sew down the binding on the back. I can't wait to get it on the table. You know, the whole time I was sewing these blocks, I felt like I'd seen them somewhere before, and when I checked my mail, Leah cleared it up for me. It's the same block Judy had used in her first Hour a Day quilt. The link is here if you'd like to check it out (and make one of course!). Too funny, because I'd always said to myself that I wanted to go back and make that quilt someday. Looks like I have had a practice run with the blocks!

The coffee table in the family room currently has a quilt on it, but it is an older Thimbleberries project (which I love) and it doesn't really fit properly and gets pushed and pulled around. I wanted one which fit the top exactly, and I'm going to hand sew some of the rubbery non-slip stuff on the back so it won't move too much. My main motivation is to save the table some wear and tear (wish I'd done it a while ago), last year, a small-ish person in this house who will remain unnamed *s* accidentally spilled nail polish remover on the table. Not too much, but enough to take the finish off the table in a few spots. So, this runner is destined to 1. cover the marks, and 2. hopefully take the spills and knocks in the future and save the table a little.

On a completely different note, last night we had a little rain, I haven't checked to see how much at this stage, but I'm soooo hoping we'll get some more. We really need it. Last night on the news it was stated that if we don't get any rain in the next few weeks we'll be going to the next level of water restrictions, and the farmers in the river regions will lose their water allocations. In fact, our Prime Minister suggested we should all start praying for rain ... I'm thinking maybe a rain dance might do the trick ...

8 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

When it came to praying for weather (either rain or not to rain) my aunt used to say she would "hang her rosary beads out the window."

The table runner looks great. Here's hoping there is no nail polish remover in its future!

Rose Johnston said...

rain dancing here in tassie as well!!!.......i love the blue and creams u use Tazzie, they give ur quilts that antique look....u r just so clever with ur colours
Take care!!!

Joyce said...

You are very fastwith the table runner. It looks beautiful.
Good luck with the rain, whether you dance or pray or do both.

Carole said...

Nice table runner! I hear you on the rain issue. I promised my friend Cheryl from Oz that I would do a rain dance today for you guys. We had lots of rain here, making our muddy season worse than usual. Take care!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love it! Oh if I could only find time to sew again. Work stinks right now! I want to quilt!

Dianne said...

Beautiful, Tazzie! I just love the pattern, and the colors, too. I'd noticed it was the same pattern as Judy had used in her Hour a Day quilt, but it looks absolutely fabulous in the size/shape you've chosen for the coffee table. Great job!

Ms. Jan said...

Lovely table runner, as always, your work is beautiful! Go wash the car--that always brings rain here. =)

Hedgehog said...

Finally getting back online - my eyes were drawn immediately to this runner - I am swimming in blues! Lovely runner, Tazzie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails