Saturday, October 06, 2007

Back on track

I'm back on the scrap wagon again now that I'm happy with my seam allowance. Thank you to those of you who gave some great tips for accuracy. My issue was that my needle had stepped one to the left and I didn't notice. Well, I did notice when I needed to add a new shape to the mix, but all is well now.

Good thing I didn't keep using the block border fabric from the previous post, I don't think it would have gone well with the purple fabric I had settled on for the star blocks. It's the same purple I used in the borders from the last quilt. I really love it!

I'll just keep plugging away now, I expect you'll see more of the same for a little while as the blocks come together. The thing I find super fun is that I can hide some of the most extraordinary scrap fabrics in here and they still look great.

For this project, I picked up most of my already cut 2 1/2" scraps from my scrap boxes - added the bits and pieces from a couple of recent projects and cut a few more 2 1/2" strips up. The squares about quarter filled one of my project boxes, and as I'm making up these blocks, it's amazing to me that the amount of fabric in the box has hardly diminished. I have to try not to think about it too much - I really don't want to be making only scrap quilts forever, but I can't see my two big tubs of scrap fabrics ever diminishing to the point where they won't bug me. Gosh, I almost get breathless thinking about it ...

On another note - we're off to a party this afternoon. For me it will be the first outing for my new hairdo. I had my hair cut and coloured somewhere different just for a change, and I really love it. I had foils for the first time people! My hair feels like it has about eleventy-four different colours in it. I've got blonde, silver blonde, a little auburn, and a teeny bit of medium brown. I love it! The cut is different too, a couple inches shorter and requires less maintenance. Maybe I should pop out and get me a new outfit too ...

15 comments:

atet said...

New outfit with new hair sounds fantastic to me. I LOVE getting foils and having tons of colors all mixing in my hair. (that sounds weird -- but, oddly, it looks better that way) Now that you've teased us about it -- we need PHOTOS!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a great way to use scraps! I love the borders around the blocks to give it some focus.

Helen in the UK said...

Scrap quilts are so fun aren't they! Have fun parading your new hairdo :)

Jeanne said...

The scraps are looking great!
We'll want to see a picture of your new hairstyle!
Jeanne :)

loulee said...

Oh Yes, a new doo, deserves a new frock! Pictures please?

Your scrap blocks look great, glad you got your problems solved.

Kate North said...

I love the effect you get with foils - but it's not quick, is it!

Ms. Jan said...

And just where is a picture of the new 'do?

Cher said...

ah, problem solved and onward with nice blocks-I agree, a new outfit to go with the new hairdo seems in order!

Patti said...

I think that's one of the most fun things about making scrap quilts. So many of the fabrics can be so VERY ugly and they still all fit together into a beautiful quilt! It's a great place to hide surprised too - all the quilts coming from my scrap bins have bits of Christmas fabric in them.

Patti said...

OK - we need to see a picture of you with your new "do"!

Unknown said...

You're definitely on a roll with that purple fabric and with good reason - it is lovely

Knitted Gems said...

I just love this scrappy quilt you're working on. The border fabric really makes the stars jump. It's so pretty.

Elaine Adair said...

Same here, as all the above - GREAT scrappy quilt, and use of our beloved fabric! You always do a wonderful job.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is looking great!

Mary Johnson said...

These blocks look great but I hate to unpick too. Don't count on using up those scraps, if you're like me you add to them with every quilt you make and goodness they go a long way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails