Sunday, May 18, 2008

In the news ... Stash enhanced, waste batt saved!

I almost forgot to do this - but I did promise I'd show you the technique I used to join smaller pieces of batt together. It's super easy - I abut the pieces (don't overlap them, you'll make a bump) and use a serpentile kind of stitch with my walking foot to stitch the pieces together.

This is a technique I learned at a machine quilting class a while back, and it was very useful indeed. The reason to use this stitch and not something like a zig-zag, is because a zig-zag can pull the pieces together and form a ridge in your batt piece. To begin with I only pieced batt for smaller projects, but as I've become more confident, I've done it for larger projects too. It feels like 'free batting'.

I needed to sneak back to Spotlight to pick up another piece of fabric, and while I was there, I thought I'd have a quick look around seeing I was 'child free' at the time. It's always a good idea to poke thru the bolts of fabric, because you can get a surprise sometimes. I was able to pick up the piece on the far left, which is a wonderful reproduction fabric for half normal price. And the blue paisley is from the same range as the tan paisley I found the other day. The fat quarters are supplements for the blue and cream quilt I'm working on.

But ... the excitement for the day was finding that Spotlight now have their own range of sock wool! 100g balls for $4.99! Sure beats the almost $20.00 I have been paying for the same size balls I pick up at the craft fair ... and even beats the 50g Patonyle balls that run for around $7.00. While I still love the range and the colours of the more expensive options, it's great to know that there is a budget option now too. Happy days :-) I should share some of my 'car knitting' I've been doing lately ... I'll get to that next time.

And because a number of you were interested in the paisley fabric, I've included a picture of the selvedge. It's not very helpful to me, but maybe it'll contain just the clue you were looking for. I even thought to have a look at the cardboard in the bolt when I was there, but it was a generic Spotlight one, so also not very helpful. If anyone has any clues, maybe you could share?

Hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful weekend ... ours is just drawing to a close. x o x

6 comments:

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

I bought some of that sock wool ( the blue and brown one) when I was at my Spotlight two days ago. I loved the price too and am already about three inches done. My knitting is a bit bumpy because it is a while since I have used double ended needles but I love the way it is working. I am using the pattern in the latest spotlight knitting magazine. I am really enjoying it.

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for the batting tutorial! I have heard of a few methods, but this makes the most sense. I have piles of batting to try it on!

Just bought my first sock yarn two days ago. I have never made socks, but my daughter knit me a pair and they feel sooooo good on my feet, that she's teaching me to make them. Just starting the heel on the first one!

loulee said...

I've been joining scraps of batting together with a zig zag, but after reading this I'll have a change. Thanks for the info.

McIrish Annie said...

thanks for the bat tutorial! I had done it a long time ago but basted them together by hand. not fun! this is sooo much simpler.. thanks again.

sewkalico said...

Thanks for posting this, it's very useful to know. I just found your blog and love your quilts.

Christine said...

Thanks for the batting tip. I have lots of little bits I could use in this way. Great idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails