Friday, January 25, 2008

Raspberries and Peaches

First up, I just thought I'd share with you one of the customer projects I've been quilting on lately. This one I started yesterday, it's Helen's quilt, a Thimbleberries club project, called Raspberry Swirl. It is very cute. I'm enjoying the quilting, and having fun adding dimension to the leaves and applique.

It's my hope to have this one finished today, so I can start working on the Royal Cross quilt.

And in peachy news ... Kathy asked if I could share a picture of our peach tree. Of course I'm happy to oblige. The tree is only around three or four years old, and it only started fruiting last year. You can see that there is still a lot of fruit ready to pick - I'll have to get busy this afternoon and pick some more. In the lower right corner of the photo is our little orange tree. It's very young too, if you click on the picture, you can see that there are a few green oranges on there - can't wait until they ripen!

Wow - didn't the flash wash this picture out? I still have a lot to learn about taking pictures! Here are the results of the last few days of 'canning'. I used 1.5kgs (3 and a bit lbs) of fruit to make the 9 jars of Peach Conserve. And 2kgs (about 4 1/2 lbs) of fruit to make the stewed peaches in the background. I added a touch of cinnamon to the stewed peaches, should be super yum!

I can't wait to make up a peach cobbler, and I'm looking forward to trying the Peach Freeze recipe that Toni sent along earlier this week. Mmmm ... in peach heaven :-)

13 comments:

Julia said...

Sounds and looks yummy!! I'll just fly around the world and come enjoy some with you. LOL

Granny said...

I love peaches so that picture has me really wanting fresh peaches. Looks like you all use a different type canning lid than we do here in the U.S.

atet said...

Oh my, and I have many, many moths before I can look forward to fresh peaches. Now I want some. Hmmn...I suppose frozen ones could do in a pinch...

Joyce said...

All that fruit looks so delicious especially to those of us frozen in the heart of winter here up North.

Pam said...

The peaches look very tasty, it would be so nice to have a peach tree in the backyard - although I prefer nectarines because they don't have the fuzz.

The Royal Cross quilt turned out just stunning!!! Really beautiful!

My middle son Eric was mad for Lego and would spend hours and hours building all kinds of things. It is amazing what imagination kids have.

Fabricmom said...

Yummy. Peach cobbler sounds heavenly. Oh with a little vanilla ice cream too. I'm drooling.

I love the quilt you are quilting. Very pretty.

Annie said...

Good sized tree and lovely luscious fruit. I have a 2 year old Nectarine and it has quite a bit of fruit. I am so looking forward to it ripening and getting it B4 the birds.

Susan said...

Peach preserves on my crumpet will be all I need with my cup of tea.

Looks yummy

Knitted Gems said...

Lucky you to have a peach tree! I canned peaches two years ago and they were heaven to eat in the middle of winter. I hope to can again this year.

Anonymous said...

Your peaches sound wonderful. It's been freezing in Oregon for over a week. My grandmother used to make the most wonderful peach crisp out of windfall peaches. We used to tease her about her rotten peach crisp, but what I wouldn't give to have some now. I made a blackberry cobbler tonight with blackberries that were frozen last summer, but still did not hit the spot. I may have to go buy frozen peaches and try to replicate the crisp. Now see what you started?

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my...you surely do live in heaven! I just loved the photos...all that fresh fruit and sunshine and green trees...wow!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Just send that peach conserve this way! Oh man does it look good!

Patti said...

I have a recipe for an incredible peaches and cream pie. I always make it in the summer when I can get fresh peaches. Would you like me to send it to you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails