Thursday, January 10, 2008

One placemat quilted

I'm being brave and playing with the new camera again. It's a little scary but I'm getting used to it. I have been busy quilting on a customer quilt which was picked up today, so stitching time has been a little scarce. I have managed to quilt one of the placemats I made earlier and put the binding on. Just need to get that binding stitched down on the back, maybe I'll wait until I finish the other and then do them together.

Since our camera is so much more clever, I thought I'd share how I quilted the mat - I know it doesn't look 'amazing', but I'm really excited about the feathered border. I freemotion quilted it on my Bernie. My confidence with my machine is building daily and I love that I'm getting more even, and trying new things. It would still be daunting on a full size quilt, but who knows what the future holds.

Ohhh, and I wanted to mention about the back of the placemat ... it's the ultimate in stash usage. I had made a calico bag for a quilt I put in a show quite a long time ago, and it had the name of the quilt on it. I didn't need the bag anymore and it was taking up space among my fabrics, so I decided to cut it up and use it for backs of bits and pieces. It's like fabric recycling. Feels very thrifty!

Also today, I managed to make up another Royal Cross block, and hopefully tonight I'll make up another. It has been a good day for crossing things off the to-do list. My Mum and I went out and purchased the kids school shoes, lunch boxes and drink bottles etc for a the new school year. All in all a great day for getting stuff done :-)

Last of all, a big hello to my 'Anonymous Thimbleberries Club Student' who left a fun comment with my last post. I have a couple of clues about who it could have been ... I think they're a Bigpond customer, so that narrows it down a little ... but I'd hate to guess the wrong name ... so you're going to have to leave me another clue ...

Over and out :-) x o x

11 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Love how this came out!

You're right - the backing is the ultimate in thrifty.

Joyce said...

Great job on the place mats. Your feathers look perfect.

Melanie said...

Beautiful stitches. I just love feathers.

Valerie said...

Your feathers look wonderful...what type of thread are you using for them? Anything special? They look like hand quilting from the back! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, Tazzie, your quilting looks soo good.

I want you to know that I've given you and award so you need to visit my blog and pick it up. I love reading and seeing what you get done in such a short time. Wonder if I will EVER get machine quilting like that?

Quilts And Pieces said...

It looks wonderful! You do really well with your feathers!

Anonymous said...

No I am not a bigpond customer, but I do have a new Applemac. I am only telling you this because I am hoping that you will guess who I am before classes start again.
I like doing the big quilts.

Anonymous said...

Dianne Said
Just love that feather border you have done. How about asking AP&Q if you can write up a how to quilt article and share your great talent. I'd love to learn more and enhance my limited free motion quilting pattern choices. Thanks for you blog, I always enjoy a look.

Susan said...

Actually, I'm totally amazed that anyone can do feathers on a small machine. =) Yours look good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tazzie

What model Bernina machine is it? Fantastic work as usual!
Deb

Fabricmom said...

Fabulous quilting. Your new camera picked it up great. Great job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails