Friday, March 25, 2011

NI - One Zig Zag border attached

I haven't had a lot of time for sewing this week, but thought I'd share where I'm at anyway. One zig-zag border is on my NI quilt top, and I've started putting together some pieces for the subsequent borders.

Just one thing I'd like to share - this border doesn't really fit the quilt. I drew the centre up in EQ7 using the dimensions in the book and it sizes to 76-3/4", and making the border up as directed it measures 78".

As you see, I've eased it in place, but I'm wondering if I should take it off and add a narrow border 1/2" finished all around inbetween the blocks and the zig zag border. It's not in keeping with the original quilt, but it would solve the problem, and also make the issue of very bulky seam intersections between the blocks and the zig zag disappear. What do you think? And for anyone that has finished the quilt top, how did you deal with this? I just don't think the suggestion in the book of playing with the seam allowance is accurate enough.

10 comments:

julieQ said...

I of course have not made this quilt, but I think the inner border sounds ideal. The final product won't be so wonky...I know about this, LOL!!

Sue said...

I'd add the inner border. That is one amazing quilt!

Anonymous said...

As discussed, I think the small 1/2 inch border is the way to go. I also think it is unforgivable to write and sell a book knowing full well that the instructions are not correct!
As Derryn Hinch would say "Shame, shame, shame!!!"

Scrappy quilter said...

I'd add an inner boarder too. It's turning out beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Sorry just read there is a difference 1 1/4 inch, so that would mean you have 5- 1/4's or 10 - 1/8's or 20 - 16's . Just stitch 20 seams an extra 1/16's and that will take care of your problem.

Northern Deb said...

Amazing quilt!! I would add whatever it needed to keep it from having to be eased in.. so that it fit nicely. You've done a beautiful job so far.

Heather said...

Depends on how much of a purest you are. Seems to me that the narrow border would be a visual enhancement even if the fitting were not an issue. And since it will help the border fit perfectly AND reduce the bulk of so many seams, it seems the answer (that's why they call them "coping strips.") You've put so much time and effort into this gorgeous quilt you sure don't want the edges to be all wonky.

Teresa Rawson said...

Yikes! You are in the same "moment of truth" that I was in when adding borders to my currant project a few weeks ago. I got the original set of borders on then realized things weren't quite right. It's a long story and I posted about it if you care to read about it, but I ended up removing the borders, squaring the center of my townie quilt, then applying new borders. Then everything laid nice and flat as a reward for my efforts.

It was painful but I am so glad I went the extra mile in the end! I had spent so much time hand appliqueing the center of my quilt. If I had just decided to try and let my problem "quilt out," I would have been sick about it later. I think about all the time and effort you put into every one of the tiny, intricate blocks in your beautiful NI quilt center - it's certainly worthy of any effort you need to make to feel good about going forward.

Just my two cents worth...I love your project!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

ria vogelzang said...

WOWWWW!!!!! Tazzie, I just love this amazing quilt!! What a beautiful colours and you did such an amazing job with the blocks and inner borders!!!
But with these wonky colours, I'm afraid I don't agree with the quiters above......... I just LOVE the zig-zag-border....... It gives it such a
great frame!
Maybe it you ad another border you can see what it is going to look like altogether...
Whatever you decide: this is an absolutely stunning quilt!!!
Love, Ria.

loulee said...

I like your idea of the narrow inner border. It will help out with the bulky seams and I can't help thinking it will have a positive visual effect too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails