Saturday, September 20, 2014

Flying (sewing machine) Needle :-)

I was determined to have the centre of this quilt top put together by bed time last night. And this girl with a deadline is nothing if not determined :-)

Originally I was going to just sew the rows together as I picked them up - but thinking on it decided it would be way too easy to have the shoo fly blocks with the same fabrics too close together. So I laid them out on the lounge floor to arrange them as best I could. I'm not too stressy about similar colours together, but definitely not happy with the exact same fabrics. Loving it so far!

The most time consuming part of this process was pressing each row carefully, and then pinning super carefully - but both utterly worth it. I really wanted my seam intersections as good as they could possibly be:

I'm really happy with the results of those labours. There aren't too many seams I'd be bothered to undo and stitch again. Don't forget friends, those small squares are 1/2" finished. The largest squares are 1.5" finished. Crazy!

Because I had school drop off/pick up and my own tennis training on the schedule yesterday, sewing time was not uninterrupted, but happily I finished sewing all the rows together just before midnight, what a relief! Here is the finished top (minus borders) draped over the ironing board.

And on top there, those are the fabrics I'm considering using as the borders. I'm not certain yet, but they're front-runners. The next step though is to press the top really well so I can measure for the borders. Pressing will be a tough job, as this quilt is HEAVY!

Yesterday I weighed the top without its borders, and the weight of all the pieces was 1992 grams. So that's almost 2 kgs of fabric. I've just weighed a metre of fabric from my stash, and it weighed 170 grams, so by my calculations I have sewed 11.7 metres (approx 13 yards) of scraps into this project so far. Amazing! Of course some of that will be the weight of thread used for piecing - and I know I've used at least four of the large Gutermann spools so far, but if we were to round down to 11.5 metres, I think that would safely account for thread.

Anyway, today I am going to take care of some chores that have been ignored for a little while, and then get busy again in the sewing room. Wish  me luck friends :-) xox

25 comments:

Chantal said...

AMAZING!!! It is so GORGEOUS! The amount of work put into that quilts is mind blowing! Fantastic!

Florence said...

just a quick,,,wowwwwwwwwww,,,,,

Unknown said...

My sister shared your quilt with me and we both think it is absolutely amazing! It was fun to watch the progress each time you posted. We both think it is amazing an inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing this work of art!

Julianne said...

Wow! Its beautiful! Love those border fabrics, they are perfect!

CathyC said...

stunning!

Becky said...

Congratulations on finishing the top! It looks great

Ozjane said...

Looks absolutely fabulous, and I am in awe of the size...and your mathematical compilations
Love it.

Judy Dietrich said...

That is a ton of great scraps sewn into this top!! Sue Garman would love to see a picture. She loves to see what people have done with her patterns. It looks just spectacular!!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

so impressive or should that be SEW impressive?

Tanya said...

Omigosh that is awesome. Can't wait to see that at a future exhibition.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely!! so did you make a dent into your scraps? every time I make a scrap quilt it still looks like I have barely used any! This quilt is still on my scrap quilt to do list but don't know when I will get started, I haven't even gotten the pattern yet :)

Nancy said...

You are a dedicated and patient woman. The top is gorgeous!

Linda said...

Wow, just WOW! It is very very beautiful Tara. Are you going to hand or machine quilt?
Lurking Linda

tirane93 said...

the blocks by themselves were exciting, but seeing the top together is just amazing! you're doing a wonderful job on this quilt and so quickly!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

This is just stunning.! Congratulations on your progress.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow! I am amazed at how quickly you got this quilt together! I have friends that have been working on it for years! It's just wonderful--I can believe it's heavy--almost as much fabric on the back as on the front. Congrats--it's great!

loulee said...

Amazing, absolutely amazing. :-o

Sue said...

Wow Tazzie it is simply gorgeous! My pattern from Sue arrived last week, but looking at all your work - it looks daunting! Might have to be something I pick up and do occasionally. 😀
Well done - don't imagine you are going to hand quilt all those seams?

Missy Shay said...

It looks awesome! I would use the blue fabric for the border, I love it!

PatchworkRose said...

Just Love it Tara. You are amazing. So much scrappy colour. You are making up for me. I cant sew at all atm as I have broken my arm up near my shoulder. Withdrawals are killing me!! I am enjoying watching your amazing progress.
xx Lynne

Ms. Jan said...

Like **everything** you do....WOW!!!!!

Diane said...

WOW, just WOW.

Shay said...

I bow down before your greatness oh great quilting Queen!

This top is the schitz Tazz...absolutely gorgeous. Cannot wait to see it in person.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

amazing ! :)

Nora MacFarlane said...

Gorgeous quilt! Brava!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails