It didn't take me long to realise that I'd made a rookie error. But long enough that there was really no turning back.
You see, I was so excited about getting busy stitching that I didn't think the width of the sashing strips through. 'No problem' I thought at the time - 'The nine patches are 4.5" square, so I'll cut the logs for the sashing strips 4.5" and when I'm ready, I can make nine patches for the cornerstones'. Well ... no.
The nine patches are 4.5" finished. So, I needed to cut the logs for the sashing strips at 5" ... so they would be 4.5" finished. Duh! A truth that became apparent after I'd made half a dozen or so of the cornerstone nine patches and they didn't fit. And of course, I've cut about every 2" strip of reproduction fabric in my scrap box down to 4.5" logs to make up this quilt. So this quilt is taking a new direction - cornerstones, not nine patches. I hardly have any of the navy fabric left (the bane of the scrap quilter) so I've moved on to another navy fabric for the cornerstones and most likely the binding too.
Clearly this quilt is speaking to me about it's own desires for it's finished state, and for now, I'm listening :-)
In other news:
This week two new pairs of shoes have come into my life, and three denim skirts (I guess I'm also on the hunt for the perfect skirt). The shoes are utilitarian, and will be well loved, but regardless of that, it's time I made a new rule. Until April (when I head o/s) whenever I purchase a new item of clothing or footwear, TWO old items have to be thrown away or donated. I have gotten to the point in the closet where I can wedge things in there without coathangers, and it has got to change.
After April I will review the situation, and either continue with this rule, or downgrade to a 'one in-one out' basis. My goodness I hope I can be firm. 2010 is the year of de-cluttering for me.