Thursday, October 08, 2015

Block 40 & 57

Last night I managed to get two more blocks put together, and made good progress on another one which I will finish today. I think this will be a fun project, chipping away at the scraps makes me happy. The blocks don't make a big dent in the stash though, I didn't mention yesterday - these blocks finish at 6 inches - they're by no means large!

For the block I shared already, and the first of these blocks, I was using thangles for the 1" HST's. I don't often use thangles, and I'm not really sure why but some of the HST's were coming out just a smidge undersized - not a lot, but in such a small HST, it was noticeable. So, for block #57 I reverted to my favourite method - to cut a 2" square, stitch either side of a diagonal line and trim - and I'm much happier with the accuracy.

Here are my blocks:

Block 40 - Four Crowns

Can you see in the bottom row there that the HST is a little small? It will disappear into the seam allowance, but having pieces that are a little small makes putting the block together more challenging than it needs to be, and there are a few points on the block that are not quite perfect. Yes, I know, fussy fussy ... I can't help it!!

Block 57 - Quartette

For this block I reverted to my fave technique for HST's, and I'm much happier with the seam intersections - all the pieces came out the right size!

There are a LOT of 1" HST's in this quilt, so I'll get plenty of practice perfecting the technique. The block I'm working on right now has 28 of them! It'll look so cute though :-)

Chatter soon though, I'm dying to get back to my sewing machine!!

1 comment:

Tired Teacher said...

Nice job on the blocks.

I always prepare the blocks for HSTs larger than necessary and size them after sewing. Other methods are never accurate for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails