Monday, July 21, 2014

Dear Jane

Yesterday was a super fun day at the craft fair. A bunch of us looked after the Guild area with white glove duties, chatting to visitors and sitting around stitching.

My DJ quilt was one of those selected to be on display, and since it hasn't had an airing for a while, I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures:

Even though this was made around fifteen years ago, I really still love it. I've learned a lot since then - I really was quite a beginner. I probably wouldn't have taken it on if I knew what I was getting myself into.

That centre block contains the fabric I used in my Omigosh! block on the weekend. And on closer inspection, I see that the block to the right of it has some points seriously cut off! Something I'd never settle for now.

And there is the triangle made with the fabric. I'm pretty sure I would have hand pieced all the triangles you see in the picture - no way I would have had the skill to machine piece them way back then. The triangle is looking a little wonky from the fold running through it. I really must remember to refold my quilts occasionally.

Tonight I have a slightly scary thing to do - but hopefully I'm all organised. I'm giving a talk on my quilting journey to the Gawler Quilters.

I'm starting to think that I may have too many quilts for show and tell ... I hope no-one grows bored. I'll let you know how it goes!

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

everyone loves show and tell! never too much - have fun

Nancy said...

I am in awe of the work you do! Who cares if a few points are cut off - anyone who looks that closely and is that critical has never quilted. "Perfection" and "quilting" are two words that should never be used together. Art is never perfect.

Linda said...

So beautiful--even with cut off points. I agree with Nancy--art is never perfect. I love looking back at older quilts and seeing how my tastes (and skills) have changed! Lurking Linda

Shay said...

You can never have too many quilts for show and tell. How exciting that you've been invited to talk! I bet it was fabulous!

Tanya said...

I was at the craft show on saturday and stopped and admired that dear jane. Im with the majority here, quilting and perfection rarely go together, and just remember finished is better than perfect. Im sure the gawler quilters will love you as much as we all do, keep up the great work

MJinMichigan said...

I'm quite impressed that you tackled Dear Jane as a novice quilter. It looks great even with a few "lost" points.
I recently read that folding quilts on the diagonal like a flag helps to prevent creases from forming so I just folded a quilt that way to give it a try. Quilts folded like a flag won't fit on a shelf as well as those folded the usual way but it will be worth it if it does prevent creases.

Linda said...

Maybe I made the block with the points cut off? &:-D

Lou - Max and Louise Pattern Co said...

I remember the days of doing Dear Jane. I wrote to you a couple of times way back then as I started my journey with Jane. I'm ashamed to say she is still a top. I just can't bring myself to quilt her!

In regard to those pesky points, I remember Brenda's motto from back then "Finished is better than perfect". Perhaps you were just taking her advice??

We love show and tell....bring it on!

Sue said...

Still lovely to see after all those years. I wonder if I'll ever get mine finished.:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails