Monday, August 16, 2010

Scrappy Bow Ties

Ohhh my goodness, these blocks are highly addictive. I really need to be doing chores, and I can't tear myself away from the sewing machine.

I showed the start of these blocks a couple of posts ago, and while I haven't had tons of sewing time, there has been good progress. The blocks are from Bonnie Hunter's Leaders and Enders book, and the project is called Bowdacious. Bonnie's quilt has bow tie blocks in all the colours of the rainbow, and while I initially cut and started to piece with more colours, I've decided I'm going to stick with pink and purple for the bow ties.

There is not a great deal of purple left in my stash after I pieced my Dogtooth Violets quilt, so I'm going to be digging deeply into the scrap tubs to find the perfect pieces. The cute little sashing strips you see there are a Jane Austen print I picked up while in the USA. I'm not sure what the next sashing strips will be, but I'm sure there is something in my closet that I can use. It's my plan to purchase no fabric whatsoever for this quilt. Let's see how far I can run with that.

In other news, I have made a huge decision this past week. I have decided that I will no longer quilt for others. There are six quilts here for me to work on, and they will be my last. Of course this was not an easy decision to come to, but working so hard has been really eating into my creative and personal time and something just had to give. After I made my mind up, I felt really at peace, and that has to be a good sign. So, all this should mean that I'll be able to work on more of my own projects and in turn share more with you here. All good, right? xox

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that it was a hard decision to make - not quilting for others. But when it consumes all your time and leaves you with no time for your own projects, the decision had to be made. I will look forward to seeing more of your posts.
cindy

Barb said...

That would be a hard decision....but seems if you have a peaceful feeling then it is the right one.

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous bowties! I like the four patches on the bowtie ends.

If I remember correctly, Bonnie had to give up customer quilting too. Are you copying her? Can we expect a book next? LOL!

loulee said...

Oooh! Pretty lil bows.
Must have been a tough decision. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your extra you time, I always love your projects.

qltmom9 said...

That quilt is lushious and inspiring.
I hope your time is blessed. I'm glad you don't have to quilt for others.

And...I'm certainly glad you blog about it.

Lucy (in IN)

Saska said...

I love this quilt...may need to make it too.
DOn't blame you for not quilting for others. You just have to do what is right for you.
Wish I could send you some purples...I have way too many that I'll never use.

scraphappy said...

Your bowtie blocks are just so adorable. Isn't it fun when a leaders and enders project wants to take over and become the main project? I hope you find more time to work on your own projects now that you won't be working on other peoples quilts.

Linda said...

I just got my Leaders Enders book, which I ordered because of your bowdacious quilt! I'm looking forward to making that quilt as well. I think quilting for others must be very stressful--lots are throwing in the towel--maybe it's the natural order of things? I know you'll have lots of fun just quilting and piecing for yourself! Good for you!!
Lurking Linda

Barbara said...

You mean to say you can be even more prolific than you are already? Can't wait!

mereth said...

I think you're wise to give up now before you get so burnt out you don't even want to do your own quilts. Of course now we'll all expect lots of progress posts and achievements on your part....

Joy said...

Working for others is often a chore wishing you happiness working at your own pace

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your bowtie project!
I always remind myself that there are only 24 hours in a day! Hope you find more time for your creative pursuits!

SubeeSews said...

Your color sense is so perfect. Love that pattern. I made a Bow-Dacious too. My hubby actually helped me arrange the blocks into a colorwash effect. But then I made mine from all the colors in the rainbow.
I am looking forward to more patterns from you...
Subee

John'aLee said...

Forget the chores! This quilt is just too delicious to not keep working on!

Mary Johnson said...

I know just how you feel! I'm cutting back on some of the donation tops I accept so I'll have more time for my quilting too! Love the bow ties!

YankeeQuilter said...

Do what feels right...the colors you are using are wonderful!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love this scrap bow tie quilt...I love how the crosses frame it...can't wait to see more :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails