Monday, August 02, 2010

Braiding

Recently I have read on a few blogs about people committing to a Process Pledge. I really like the idea, and while I decided I don't need the pressure of a commitment, it has made me think about sharing more about my quilting journey, rather than simply the destination. So, with my latest little project, I took a couple of extra pictures along the way.

I wanted to make up some braids and use one of my charm square packs, so first up I sorted the pack into lights and darks. There were a great many more darks, so I cut up some light pieces from my stash too, then I cut each charm square in half to make a series of light and dark rectangles.

I added a red from my stash, cut it into squares and began chain piecing the red squares to the dark rectangles. I've based my braid on one found on our dear friend Bonnie's Quiltville site.

And then I started piecing the braids together. I made two braids so I could continue to chain piece - I really hate to waste thread!

I'm sure you can see I've missed a great many steps here - eg, cutting the strips of braid apart, stitching the sections to make the mats, basting, quilting and preparing the binding. This has been a fun little project, and good for using up left over pieces of batt etc. I just have to hand sew the binding down on the reverse side, and I can call them done!

17 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

so pretty!

paulette said...

Thanks for sharing...loved seeing the process!! Great project!
Take care!
Paulette

AnnieO said...

Very pretty! I'm like you, I agree with showing the process but am not quite willing to have the pressure of a pledge!

Nana Time said...

I've never heard of a braid before in quilting. It looks fun and is so pretty.

Where can I get more directions?

Juliejaz said...

I love that! I'm going to have give braiding a try for next project. Right now I need to work on finishing my butterflies I've got started. I like the idea of showing the progress, not just the final.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Beautiful work. I think I'm going to have to give it a try.

qltmom9 said...

That sure is inspirational. Thank you for sharing. OOooo...I SO want to sew now!

Lucy~

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh nice, love the colours too. So any hints as to what you are making? I was thinking Christmas placemats?

Gari in AL said...

Really nice. I would love to do braids but have never tried them.

Leeanne said...

Nice colours!!! Christmas placemats...is that what they are?

Barbara Cline said...

The red give the quilt a wonderful punch.

Quilts And Pieces said...

ooo, i'm liking the look of those braids! And the red as the center is perfect!

quiltmom anna said...

Love your braids Tazzie- very pretty fabric choices and it is an interesting process- I think there is lots to learn from one another by showing process- Nice to see other quilters thinking aloud.
Regards,
Anna

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It's a pretty quilt - love the color choices.

quiltmom anna said...

Like the idea of sharing the process- it is great to see how other people work - and you do such beautiful work Tazzie.
The braid is wonderful- I really like the red center stone.
Thanks for sharing your braid and the lovely photos of your new framed prints.
Regards,
Anna

Mary Johnson said...

I love these colors....I just ordered a chisel die for my GO Citter with the idea that I'm going to play with some braids.

Louise said...

Very pretty quiltlet! I like the philosophy behind blogging about the process, and not just finished projects. I haven't blogged for months partly because I haven't finished anything to show off, but I've been "processing" many, many quilts! Louise

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails