Sunday, September 27, 2009

Show us your Stash

Judy has bravely shared her stash, and has also asked us all to share our own, with a view to tidying and shrinking it during 2010. I'm always up for a challenge, so here are my pictures. We aren't allowed to tidy up, but for those of you who know me - my stash is usually fairly neat anyway. The scraps - they're my bug-bear.

This is my stash closet. There are no surprises here, and you've all seen it before. I don't really mind if I don't make a dent in the supply in this closet - and given that I'm heading back to the US in April/May next year, it is quite likely that you'll see in increase in this area. These fabrics are generally my favourites, and sometimes I have a hard time using them. I'll try and work on that :-)

These boxes live on the top of the closets in the sewing room. They contain my scrap strips (inspired by Bonnie's Scrap Users System),charm squares, 10.5" backing squares, 6" squares etc, orphan blocks, my works in progress, and also some works in very slow progress (think Dear Jane). I REALLY want to use up more of the scraps. I do love scrap quilts, but don't want to be making them until the end of time ... somehow though I think I'll always be scrapping in some respect.

And here is my dirty little secret. Two bins of assorted scrappage, hidden under some of my favourite quilts. My particular goal is to eliminate these entirely. If I can't get rid of both, I'd be really happy to have one gone. About two years ago, I had four of these - I just can't believe it!

So there you go - my stash, as glorious and also shameful as it can be. If only I could buy a block of free time so I could get busy sewing and tidying it all up. Thank you for the challenge Judy :-)

13 comments:

loulee said...

I remember looking longingly at everyones stash when I first started quilting and wondering if I would ever manage to have a stash. I was amazed at the boxes and boxes of scraps people saved and wondering why, and if I would ever have even half a box of scraps. Well now I do have a stash and I even have scraps and WIPs languishing in corners, now my great wonder and want is a sewing room! A whole room that would be wonderful.
You make some beautiful scrappy quilts, I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could get through another of those boxes next year, why not have a scrap only year? Make quilts using only your scraps.

Shari said...

Your stash looks very manageable and organised - impressed. My stash is a little organised but huge - not sure how it grew so big. I swear I didn't water it...

Vickie said...

aw Man Miss T what a stash I am soooooooo jealous,cheers Vickie

julieQ said...

Looks great, and very manageable. I too have one of those great big totes of scraps I worry about getting rid of...

Scrappy-Quilter said...

what a nice neat stash! I am a scrappy quilter too and have scrap bins to reduce but they keep increasing with each new project I make.

Unknown said...

Very, very impressive! You should keep that one bin and then work on emptying it when it gets full. I keep one bin of scraps and when it gets full, I sub-cut all the scraps into various sized squares from 1.5 to 6 inches! The last time I traveled with my husband on business, I took a suitcase of those scraps with me and worked on them in the hotel and I surprised myself by getting them all done!

Karen said...

Your stash closet looks so neat and tidy. Does it always look like this?

Mary-Kay said...

Very tidy! You have it all organized and it looks great. Does it look tidy in the middle of making a quilt?

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

I would love to sew in your sewing room! I'm jealous!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Tazzie this is a beautiful room - very nicely organized to make it work for you. blessings, marlene

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I had a three of those tubs of scraps too, as well as a couple of boxes full. I've slowly been working at ironing & cutting them into strips ala Bonnie H. and only have one tub of larger scraps and a copy paper box of smaller scraps left to work on. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll get it done.

Ms. Jan said...

Your stash is so tidy, Tara. You've nothing to be worried about!

sewprimitive karen said...

Your stash looks very reasonable. Is that really all of it? I have stash in at least four places ha. And I wouldn't feel bad about those two little tubs of scraps at all. Very lovely, workable stash.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails