Yesterday morning, Cameron asked me if I could make him a quilt today. Knowing that I had picked up an Aeroplane panel from the shop a week or so ago, I knew I'd be able to get a start on one.
I took the kids to the quilt store yesterday to pick up the binding for the Spring Fling quilt, and while I was there I found a 'Map of the World' panel, and it was just slightly larger than the 'Plane' panel I already had. So, the extra panel came home with us, along with the binding and some striped fabric to use for the binding on the panels.
The batting was pieced from some of my offcuts, the project pinned quickly, and I started quilting in the afternoon. I'm such a rebel, I used monofilament on top, and ohhh the horrors, I decided to try it in the bobbin too. There were no problems at all. I can't say that everyone will have the same experience, I'm sure different machines and different brands of thread will have different results, but I'm really happy I gave it a try. I just didn't want to distract from the pictures on either of the panels with thread trails everywhere. (In the picture I've just flipped the left of the quilt over so you can see the map on the other side.)
We went out to an Indian restaurant with friends last night (which was really lovely), so I stopped quilting around half way through - but after we got home I could start again, and finished it up and attached the binding to the front. After breakfast this morning I hand sewed the binding down, and by the time Cam and Marty got home from their flying session, Cameron's Airplane/World Map quilt was all finished. So really, he almost got his quilt in a day ...