Friday, December 08, 2023

I'll try something here ...

Hi friends, I hope you're all well ... I have a few things to share with you today, one of which I'm not exactly sure how to do - but I'll give it a go!

First up, I am finally able to share the secret squirrel projects I've been working on for a little while. Do you remember I shared that I'd found a number of milk glass bowls, ones that are frequently used to make pincushions for sewists ... well - I needed extra to do what I wanted with them. So I assembled a small but dedicated team of friends to find more - and fortunately we managed to locate enough for my quilting buddies, and I set to making them up as gifts:


I'm so pleased with how they came together. I wasn't able to find an actual pattern that was meant for the bowl, and made it up as I went along. There are several lovely inpirational pictures on pinterest, so it was fun to spend time researching as well.

And I also made up an embroidered ornament for everyone, a super fun stitchery project:


All the mmmCrafts projects are absolutely foolproof - the directions are fabulous, and I've already planned which one I'll tackle for my friends next year.

For the sampler project I've been striving to catch up on, I was able to put one block together, and it was a bit of a tricky one:

Block 24 - Dolly's Star

For whatever reason I decided to machine piece the center area of this block instead of hand piecing like I normally would, and it was a bit of a battle to make sure all the points lined up. I used freezer paper piecing which I love, but I'm finding that the freezer paper I have at the moment just doesn't seem to stick as well as it used to. But no excuses, I should be able to get good results anyway. 

I'm aming to get a couple more blocks made this weekend, so I'll be looking forward to digging around in my stash. I think there are only two more blocks to be revealed, and I'll be hoping to get them all complete during the holidays.

Last of all, I wanted to see if I can share a video of my Christmas tree - I'm not sure if I've shared a video before, so I'll see if I can do it ...


I hope this has worked, let me know if you're able to see it. My Xmas tree is one of my favourite things, and it's such fun to decorate it. This is a slim tree, I think 7 1/2ft tall. It's so much fun to cram so many decorations on there that it's hard to see the actual tree itself.

Last of all, I took a quick snap of the camper-van placemats I put together before I handed them on to their new home:


I really like this placemat pattern, it's great for prints that you just don't want to cut up too much. There will be more in my future!

Okay, I'll sign off here so I can spend some time in the sewing room. I hope you're all doing well, and I'll chatter soon! xox

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The pincushions are so cute! Happy Christmas!

cityquilter grace said...

Very lucky friends! Block looks terrific!

julieQ said...

OH how sweet!! I love that milky glass, and the pretty cushions. What awesome gifts!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your pincushions are really neat and love those embroidered ornaments so cute

Chantal said...

I love your pincushions! I have such a milk-glass bowl and wondered if you had a pattern as I would love to turn mine into a pincushion too. I read that you DIY so I'll head to Pinterest and research it. You did an excellent job. Bravo! ;^)

Jeanette said...

Love those pincushions. I still haven't done anything with the bowls i bought for that reason. :) Love the block & the tablemat.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Projects are great, and will be greatly loved by recipients. Your tree is lovely too. We have the same skinny size tree and glad to have another idea for decorating it! Blessings this Christmas...

Vicki W said...

Your ornaments and pin cushions are beautiful and really thoughtful gifts.

Janet said...

Wow, the pincushions are gorgeous and extra special because you made the pattern as you went. The ornaments are very pretty and kudos to you for not getting bored (that would be me).
That is a very difficult block. It came out beautifully.
Fantastic idea on videoing your tree which turned out great. I will have to give it a try because I can never do justice to my tree in photos.
Thank you for sharing all. You had a busy week.
Enjoy your weekend.

kiwikid said...

You milk glass pin cushions are beautiful as are the decorations, lucky quilting friends. The block is lovely. The video worked well and your tree is gorgeous! The placemats are wonderful too, lots of beautiful eye candy on this post!

Chookyblue...... said...

Lots of lovely sewing...... Some happy friends there I'm sure..... Your tree was beautiful

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails