Friday, December 29, 2023

Christmas lead-up ...

Hi friends, I missed posting last week as I was just so busy in the lead up to Christmas. I thought I'd gotten all the have to do things finished, but when I took stock, there were still a few things on my plate, so I'll share them with you here.

If you're a long term reader you'll know that I always put together a gingerbread creation of some kind. This is my project for this year:


*I don't seem to be able to set the pictures to the largest size as they're too blurry. Must be something I did when transferring the pictures from the phone to the laptop. Anyway ...

This year I melted down butterscotch sweets to make the windows, it's a fun look. I've gone for a very traditional style gingerbread house. I drew the templates for the house up in Corel, and I can save them as PDF's if anyone would like a copy. Just pop me a note and I'll be happy to send them to you.

Next on the agenda was to decorate a cake quickly for a lovely friend's cousin’s wedding anniversary.

This was actually a very quick job - the little bouquet on top had been saved from the 25th anniversary cake, so for this 50th cake I just needed to switch the ribbon in the garland from silver to gold. It has been more than 20 years since I've made one of these cakes with the fondant icing, but luckily it all came back to me and I did a passable job. 

Also before the big day, I wanted to finish up some of the mmmCrafts ornaments for little Mary, and I managed to get this one done:

This is the French Hen from the Twelve Days of Christmas series. I wanted to revist the ones I'd already made, so I also made this one, but didn't quite get it done until a couple of days later:

This one is the Turtle Dove. All the ornaments in this series are just adorable, and I love working on them. Next will be the Colly Bird, and I'll try to make that much earlier in the year rather than waiting until it's actually December!

I made quite a number of placemats for gifts too. Some had to be passed on to other people to hand to the recipients. I hope they've been received now.


These placemats are so easy to put together, and wonderful for fabrics that you just don't want to cut up too much. I'll make some for us sometime ... I have a few things to finish first though.

And last of all for this post, I made up a couple more of the Opasampler blocks this week, one super easy, and a little more tricky.

Block 49 - Pork and Beans

Block 25 - Welcome Home

Both super fun to make, and I just love that little parrot in the window of the house. It came from one of the lovely conversational prints Wendy Caton Reed sent to me a while ago. I reserve those fabrics for the most special of projects!

In other news, I've continued to go through my fat quarters and put them in drawers. I'm about 95% done with that now, and I'm so very surprised at how many I have, and the drawers are entirely full. I really must resolve not to buy any more fabric until I've made some kind of dent in what I already have. It's entirely possible that even if I work at some stitching each day, I will never, ever run out of fabric.

I'm on holidays now until the beginning of February, so I've resolved to get a few things done before I'm back to my routine. The Opasampler blocks - I'd like to catch up on those. I'm determined to finish Camo's aviation themed top, it was started 10-15 years ago. It's time to get it done. I'd like to make another two of the charity quilts. And last of all, I'd like to paint the second bathroom area in the house. It's time for a refurbish in there. Can I get all this done? Maybe ... but at least by writing it down, I'll be inspired to give it a good try.

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season, and before I write again we'll have rung in the new year. So I hope you have a Happy New Year, and let's chatter again in 2024! xox

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

you vixen! posting more of those uber adorable felt ornaments....the french hen and dove are absolutely luscious....

Elsie Montgomery said...

I just downloaded the 12 days patterns and ordered the felt - pretty much have everything else. Yours are lovely and incentive... my plan is one a month (while watching hockey and football games) and have them done for next year.
Thanks for your creativity. I nearly ordered the doll heads you make for this series, but it takes forever for parcels to get to Canada from the USA. If I can't find something here, I may get back to your Etsy site!!
Blessings, and Happy New Year with your projects!
Elsie

kiwikid said...

The gingerbread house is stunning as is the other cake, you are a clever lady!! We used to have a ginger bread house, from a box, premade, #2 son put it together and decorated it. The felt birds are beautiful as are the tablemats and blocks. Very happy New Year, looking forward to a productive 2024.

Janet said...

The gingerbread house is beautiful, the butterscotch winters added so much. The cake looks beautiful and yummy.
The 12 Days of Christmas ornaments are so elegant looking. They will treasured for years.
You have been very busy.
Happy New Year and as always thank you for continuing to take me on your wonderful sewing journeys.

Terry said...

You make the loveliest things and have such a gift for combining just the right colors and fabrics and details! Can you please share information about the pattern you use for the rectangular placemats. Thanks! Wishing you a new year full of JOY!
Terry

Chookyblue...... said...

Another pretty post of cakes, gingerbread houses and blocks....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails