Friday, June 17, 2022

A slow start, but I got a little done ...

This week got a off to a rough start - a nasty gastro bug swept through our extended family, it was violent and persistent, so I had very little energy for a few days. Once the worst was over it was actually nice to lay low for a little bit, but I did miss time in the sewing room.

Before all that happened though, I put together another sweet little Alice Dress for Miss Mary:

I just love the Llama Drama fabric, both it and the lining were from Spotlight. The pattern is an instant download from Rebecca Page, and because goes right up to size 12, I'll be making these for many years to come. It's super easy, and since I'm not really a confident garment maker, I'm learning each time I make one.

During recovery I spent time online ... as you do ... and put a lowball bid on a box of random china bits and pieces at my favourite local auction house. I really didn't expect to win, but I did and here is my loot:

I was only really interested in the Spode Byron pieces, which are the green rimmed dishes at the back there. But the Myott dinnerset in the foreground is just lovely, and as well as the other bits and pieces, there were five pieces of Carltonware in there too!

This was the prettiest of the Carltonware dishes. I've given them all to a sweet friend as she loved them so. And the Myott dinnerset is going to another lovely friend, she's picking it up to grace her new historic home. I'm so pleased to have found some pieces I was looking for, and was also able to bless others with the pieces I don't need!

And then I was able to get quilting on one of the tops I made:

My machine gave me the devil of a time with this quilting project. I broke a needle, bent a needle, and had all kinds of backlash issues. I ended up having to change the tension on the bobbin, hopefully it won't mess anything else up. I did use a new to me batting - a Quilters Dream poly, and also used King Tut thread which I don't usually use, it's just so hard to imagine they could affect the tension so much, but who knows? Anyway, it's finished now, and I'm very happy to call it done! 

This week I have some more churn dash blocks to make, a secret squirrel project, and the binding for the quilt above. I'm sure that will keep me busy and I'll report back soon!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh the Llama dress is adorable. Congrats on winning the bid on the china. Hugs

Janet O. said...

Very cute "llama drama" dress. LOL
How nice that your lowball bid won and you were able to get what you wanted and share the others winnings with friends. Who knows what makes a machine suddenly give us fits. I am of the opinion that it has something to do with holding your tongue just right! ;)

Janet said...

wow, you got a lot done even with the nasty bug visiting your household. Amazing. Rest until you are fully recovered.

Pam said...

I am sorry that you and the family have been unwell. The dress is adorable 😍

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails