Friday, May 06, 2022

Seeking motivation ...

This week has seen me lacking motivation to sew. I know my mojo will return, so I've been pottering in the sewing room etc and just doing what I feel inspired to do.

I bit the bullet and trimmed four of my Lily Rosenberry blocks so I could commit to sewing them together. When I shared the nine blocks recently I just laid them on the floor all higgledy piggledy, but these ones are set in stone now:

I'll keep them in groups of four until I've made all the blocks, just so I don't back myself into a corner and get forced to have the same fabrics right next to each other. This is always a problem when working on a scrappy quilt!

And I sashed the third row of the Churn Dash quilt, but I haven't stitched that row in place yet:

I'm really enjoying the soft colours in this quilt. It would be nice to make it bigger, but I will be satisfied to use up two of the fabrics that have been hiding in my stash closet. 

In other news - I have kept my promise of taking a bag a week to the op-shop. I have quite a lot of clothing, so it's still hard to see a difference - but the pile of empty hangers definitely looks impressive. My walk-in-closet was getting to the point where hangers were unneccessary - the clothes were quite tightly packed and almost self supporting! I'd like to send about half my garments away ultimately. It's the right thing to do, there are things I haven't worn in years. Last week I also sent about ten pairs of shoes away. None this week, but next week I'll send some more. This feels very freeing!

I don't have much more to share this week, so I'll close off here - thank you for all your kind comments recently, I always love to read them! Chatter soon xox

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lily Rosenberry is soo beautiful! You've done an excellent job. I can understand about sewing 4 blocks together, it does give a boost to see progress. The fabrics in the churn dash are so soft and gentle. It already has an antique look, happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't have a walk in closet so I tend to go through my clothes twice a year to try to weed out items - if they don't get worn in two years they go out. I am not too compulsive of buying so that usually works. Your blocks look great sewn together like that and eventually if you decide you do not want to make the whole quilt it will look good as a small quilt too.

Cathy said...

Your Lily Rosenberry blocks are absolutely beautiful. You do beautiful work. Hugs

Nancy said...

The appliques on your Lily Rosenbery blocks are so perfectly aligned and the symmetry is amazing. Beautiful! Will you applique a circle in the center of the four urns?
I think the stars and churn dash blocks look beautiful.

Janet O. said...

Those blocks are stunning together! They could be the whole quilt and it would be amazing.
I like the softer, muted looking colors of the churn dash, too. Very soothing.
I like your plan to donate so much from your closet. I should follow your example and do some sorting and donating.

Janet said...

Liley Rosenbery is coming along beautifully. Sometimes it is nice to make a smaller quilt, I love the colors. Enjoy your week.

Barb said...

Oh your applique blocks are beautiful. I really appreciate all the slight variations in the leaves and berries fabrics.
I started really getting serious about keeping my clothes to what I actually wear. Good for you for starting the process and keeping at it.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh I love a churn dash block......good to get those blocks together.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails