Friday, May 27, 2022

May Monthly Mini

First up, a big thank you to Terry and Gladiquilts for your lovely comments on my last post. Your email address didn't come to me so I wasn't able to reply to you personally, but I very much appreciate you taking the time to connect. <3 <3

I'm feeling good about my accomplishments this week, I had been dithering over what to make for this month's mini quilt - on Monday I just grabbed some blue and a background and went for it. Nine patches to the rescue!


Once I finished the nine patches, it was my plan to use the same background fabric as setting squares. But I was hit with some inspiration and pulled some Dutch chintz fabric out of a scrap drawer. This was the leftover piece from when I made the Mountmellick quilt with all the broderie perse - it looked like a piece of Jarlsberg cheese with all the holes in it - and it still does, but it's a smaller piece now! It's a much busier looking quilt than I had originally planned, but I still love it! At 19" square it's a little larger than my other mini quilts, but it still qualifies as a mini, right?


Here's a bit of a closer look - warts and all! The blue fabric is a favourite of mine, it was purchased on one of my trips to the USA to visit with darling friends. All the yardage is gone now, there are just the leftover bits from the strip piecing and the binding to go in the scrap boxes. While it's sad to see the end of some fabrics, I always get a thrill when I can use something up.


And a little sneaky peek of the back - it's quilted simply with crosshatching and fairly plain feathers. I'm getting low on that check fabric now, and that thrills me too. It's a favourite, but I can't really use it on the front of quilts as it has some poly content. I just can't press it as hot as I'd like - and I learned this the hard way. It does make for nice soft backings though. Only one fat quarter and a few scraps before it's all gone - I'll endeavour to find a good replacement in 100% cotton.

If you're enjoying seeing these monthly mini quilts, do click over to lovely Wendy Caton Reed's blog, you'll find a list there of all the other sweet ladies making mini quilts. They're always beautiful eye candy!

And for Lily Rosenberry, I've prepped block 11 ready for stitching:


It's so much fun playing with a variety of fabrics in this project, it's always fun to find little shards of the colours I need and be able to put them into the quilt.

I've also been getting more little berries ready:


I need about five hundred to complete the rest of the blocks and the border, so I'll keep busy making them, I won't be finished any time soon!

There should be a few hours this weekend I can spend in the sewing room, so it's my hope I'll be able to make up some more of the Moda Blockheads blocks, and get organised for the Churn Dash SAL. Isn't it fun to have plenty to occupy oneself in the sewing room! Chatter soon xoxox

14 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Your mini this month is glorious! Oh how I love that Dutch fabric and it goes perfectly with the border print. I think that is an older Judie Rothermel. I adore it. Your machine quilting brings it all together gloriously. Thanks for another great mini. And, that Lily Rosenberry just blows my mind. I really should put that one on my list. I just love appliqueing berries. Your color choices are sensational.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your mini quilt is very cute, a nice dolly quilt for your granddaughter? I love Lily Rosenberry but I get overwhelmed looking at all of the circles! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all those red circles!! I remember make a lot of them on one quilt that was a traditional red/green applique quilt - I don't remember how many total I needed for that one but it seems like I had over 300 scattered all over that quilt - tiny red circles - I know you are having fun really :)

Kyle said...

A fabulous monthly mini. That Dutch fabric as the setting squares gives the quilt such a special look. We were both thinking on the same wave Dutch wave length this month. Your applique blocks are gorgeous. You seem to be in a good rhythm for getting those berries done. Like Wendy, I such put that quilt on my list.

Chookyblue...... said...

The monthly mini looks good that fabric works well with the nine patches....... OMG 500!!!!! Goodluck making all those... .

gladiquilts said...

Your mini is beautiful! I love those Dutch fabrics and the one you used goes so well with the other blue fabric. I have 2 quilts with those Dutch fabrics in them, currently “hibernating “ - you’re inspiring me to get them out and start working on them again!😊

Quilter Kathy said...

A lovely mini quilt - fantastic quilted feathers on the border too! I can't imagine making 500 little circles... that's a lot of dedication!

Janet said...

Your mini is gorgeous. I love the Dutch Chintz.
Wow on block 11, you get them prep so fast. I wish I could be the hang of the glue method. Yours looks like it is already sewn on, perfect.
Have a great weekend.

Janet O. said...

Wow--that Dutch Chintz takes this humble little 9-patch to a whole new level!! Just lovely! And the quilting is the perfect finishing touch.
The Lily Rosenberry quilt is astounding, and the thought of 500 more of those berries would have me cowering in fear. What an heirloom that will be!

loulee said...

I love, love, love your mini, so blue and so pretty.
Oh my gosh, all those tiny red circles!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I am so late in commenting!!!! Looking good for Lilly! I have things ready to select the fabric hopefully by tomorrow.

You have given me an idea - I have the same Dutch Chintz, in fact I have a lot that I purchased years ago! I need to use it. Neat idea to just cut the flowers out and piece them in a quilt! HUMMM. Hugs

Nancy said...

What a fun quilt, Tazzie. It has lots of energy.
I love your Lily Rosenberry block. Do you use freezer paper, turned edge, or some other method to prepare the applique pieces? All those berries! I can certainly understand why you won't be finished soon. But it will be gorgeous when you do!

Sandy said...

Your mini is right up my alley, Tazzie. I love how a simple nine-patch can be made to be so engaging by the use of that beautiful print. Nice job!

Sandy said...

Your mini is right up my alley, Tazzie. I love how a simple nine-patch can be made to be so engaging by the use of that beautiful print. Nice job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails