Friday, September 10, 2021

Projects - New and Super Old

This week I started putting another new project together - I have a few things on the go right now, and I'm not sad about it!

I am just loving those glitzy fabrics! The yellow/mustard one is also being used in the Lily Rosenberry quilt, and I'm super pleased I bought quite a bit of it. The Christmas fabrics are also recent purchases - I don't have many holiday prints, so it's fun to put them into use.

And this block is made with an adorable panel with floral wreaths - I bought way too many of them as I fell in love! Yum! Hopefully I can fill you in next week and share what I'm putting together.

This past week hasn't provided much stitching time, we had some super messy chores to take care of. Our ducted r/c air conditioning died a few days ago and we're getting ready to have a new system installed (ouch $$) so we needed to clean out the attic. I don't think either of us realised how much stuff we'd dragged up there to deal with another day. Wow!

Over last weekend, we hauled everything down, sorted/tossed out/donated and gifted a whole bunch of stuff, and now the attic is pretty much empty. The air conditioning techs can have free rein, and our new system will be installed before our weather starts getting too warm.

I don't know if I've ever told you about my first Baltimore applique quilt being half finished and stored up in the attic, well ... it was ... but it's gone now. I tossed it out. It's not a project I want to spend any time or $$ working on anymore, I'm way beyond it, and 20+ years in storage had done it no favours. It actually feels like a bit of a weight lifted from me.

I also found the original People Quilts up there. They are just trashed - filthy and fading, and all the lace that was around the edges has deteriorated away. I took a quick photo before I threw them out. They wouldn't last a wash, and they are too yukky to keep.

I can confidently say that my quiltmaking skills have improved in the last 26 years! Mary's quilt using the leftover fabric is much nicer - I have a little more experience under my belt now.

I'm going to leave off here - I still have so much I'd like to get through before I head to bed tonight. Wouldn't it be great if we could just find a few extra hours in each day - a couple of hours just to ourselves to get our own things done. A girl can dream! :-)

4 comments:

Janet said...

I find it very hard to get rid of stuff that has a nostalgic attachment to it but when you get rid of it, it is like taking a weight off of yourself, you are so right. I did that this past weekend, some of husband's stuff and some of my parents. Big breathe and you have more room to breath.
Can't wait to see what you do with the printed panel. Tree skirt is gorgeous.
Enjoy your weekend. Good luck with the a/c. I am having to replace my propane piping another gift from the February freeze. Take care and stay safe.

Jean McGee said...

You are very brave cleaning out the attic and making decisions about what to keep or discard. It's a good feeling though when it's done and you can get on with projects that give you pleasure, the tree skirt is just beautiful such pretty fabrics.
Take care and have a great week. 😍😍

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Big Ouch on the A/C! and then all that work. I do not blame you for the trash bin action. I have done that and cleaned out books and went through all drawers in the large room in the Studio last month. It is freeing to be 'free' of projects that we were working on years ago and never finished. I am down to 3! The next 2 days will bring it to 2... I am hoping to start new projects in October! I have had enough of UFOs. Hugs

Pam said...

The start on the Christmas projects looks great

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails