Friday, June 11, 2021

Sewing room freedom!

This week I worked on a couple of things in the sewing room - one of them a project that almost needed to have the dust blown off it!

Over the weekend I came up with a feathered wreath quilting pattern I would be happy with for the star crib quilt:


The squares finish at 9.5" and I didn't really have any templates that would fit. I did look to purchase one, but when the shipping was going to be $25 for a $5 template, it just didn't seem worthwhile. I ended up making some circle templates and hand drawing the feathers in between the rings. It worked out quite well really. It'll be interesting to see if I can get them all looking the same.

While on the hunt for a machine piecing project to sink my teeth into, I ran across these scrappy stars that I started many years ago.


I must have gotten distracted by another project at the time, because they had been stuffed in a storage container and forgotten about. I decided to pick up what I had made so far and make up whatever I could with them.


Here's where I'm at so far - there is an un-sewn seam in the middle there, so don't be distracted by my seemingly terrible points! I'll be able to make this small quilt 13x11 blocks, and it'll be a perfect small thing for draping over the lounge while Amy is feeding baby etc. It's amazing how much things need to be laundered when you have a teeny baby, so a scrappy project will be great to handle the rough and tumble.

I hope to have the scrappy star top finished by the end of this long weekend.

Today Mum, Amy, Mary and I visited Ikea, I did have something in mind for storage in the sewing room - but hadn't done any research, so in reality we were just heading there for the fun of it. It was a fun day out, and I did end up finding what I was looking for:


I plan to secure an ironing surface to the top of this trolley - it's actually very sturdy, and my overlocker and coverstitch machines can live on the lowest shelf. I am weary of them being on the floor, and I'm genuinely running out of storage space in the sewing room. I'll keep you posted on how successful this ends up being. Hopefully very!

That is all the news I have for this week, so I'll check back in with you soon!

5 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a perfect solution for your center. Your hand drawn feathers around the circle are perfect. And, what a lucky find.. It is always nice to find something started many years ago and get a quick start on a new project. Gorgeous! Our closest Ikea is 2 states (5 hours) away so I have never been to one but it looks like you found the perfect thing!

Janet said...

Love the quilting pattern you came up with, perfect. I hope the Ikea stand, stands up to the task. Lovely scrappy star blocks. Your fabric choice and piecing just blow be away, fantastic.
Enjoy your weekend.

Pam said...

Great stars project. Babies certainly create a lot of washing 😁

Jean McGee said...

Beautiful hand quilting Tara. I love the scrappy quilt and am sure Amy will as well. The trolley is a great idea for portable storage especially when you are working on a project it can all be there with you . 😀😀

Meryl said...

What a wonderful idea for keeping your sewing room in order, I love that you can move it around easily and lock in place. May I ask what size ironing board you intend attaching to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails