Sunday, April 22, 2018

Speedy Sawtooth Border ...

As predicted in my last post, I thought things would move much faster with the Phebe project once the applique was done. So far, that's exactly what's happening. Less than 48 hours after the last applique stitch went in, I had drawn up the foundation papers and stitched the sawtooth borders. Then trimmed them all to size and removed the papers, and finally stitched them in place. Loving it!!

Doesn't it all frame the applique so nicely? It has been great to spend some quality time with my sewing machine after so much hand work. And I'm excited to get busy with the next frame of stars - hopefully I'll get one side done tomorrow.

In other news, this week I had a little retail therapy after not having purchased fabric in a while. The thing is that I just haven't needed anything as I'm largely working with scraps in this project - and let's face it, even if you don't count scraps, I still have a lot to work with already! Anyway, I found a backing fabric that I felt would work for Phebe, so needed to grab it.


I'm a lazy girl and don't much like joining fabrics for backs in projects I know I'll hand quilt ... I liked this one, so it had to be mine.

And these ones appealed to me too. For no reason other than they look like something I may use one day :-)


Last of all for this post, I just wanted to share the cake/cupcakes that I made for Amy's engagement party. I didn't know for sure that I'd be able to make the 'naked cake' that she wanted for the top tier, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Pinterest to the rescue with helpful links to tutorials. What did we ever do before the internets??

There were 100 cupcakes, half decorated with a swirl, and half with flowers. Bless those wonderful flower piping tips! Her theme was gold/pink/black and I managed to get all the colours in.

The two pictures on the left in the collage are the finished cupcakes - top right are most of the flower cakes prior to piping the leaves on, and bottom right is how it looked at the venue. I'm so happy I managed to get it all done, and I have a year to think about how the wedding cake will work!

It's getting late here now, I'll dash and get some zzz's so I have a bunch of energy for piecing tomorrow. Chatter soon! xox

11 comments:

Alejesnat said...

Beautiful, you are amazing, I wish I had your energy. 🙂

Paula DiMattei said...

Love those borders. They frame that gorgeous applique just perfectly. And those cupcakes are another work of art❣️

Kyle said...

If you got all this done since you posted last, you're amazing ! The sawtooth border is perfect and, of course, the cupcakes are too. I beat everyone was very pleased.

Janet said...

Yes, amazing is the right word. I cannot believe you did the sawtooth so quickly. It is gorgeous. Did you find a 108 inch wide backing or will you have one seam in it? All the fabrics are beautiful. The cupcakes are beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do with the cake. Send some of your energy my way. Still amazed.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

How sweet those cupcakes look! And, I cannot believe the speed at which you whipped up that border! It really does frame your applique beautifully!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love those cupcakes! AND Phoebe is absolutely beautiful. I am working on Di's Mountmellick (a few years late) and yes, things went faster when I did the border with the circles, and now I am going to work on the next border with the hexgon flowers.

I want to do Phoebe someday!

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Love your progress on Phoebe Tazzie. The sawtooth borders are excellent. What method do you use to prep your stems?

cocoya said...

If you got all this done since you posted last, you're amazing ! The sawtooth border is perfect and, of course, the cupcakes are too. I beat everyone was very pleased.
Genting Crown

Holly said...

Your work is beautiful. This quilt is on my "someday" list.Will be following your progress.

Phyllis said...

Your Phebe looks gorgeous! You are on a roll, you work so fast! Yummy cupcakes and beautiful too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails