Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mats on the move

Here are two of the Christmas mats that are soooo close to being finished. They just need the binding now. Only six more to quilt (they're made already)! I'm finding it a little tough to get moving on these, for two reasons.

The first is because I'm quilting them using a really cute thread with a metallic strand running thru it. The thread is cute ... but it misbehaves terribly. Under the best of circumstances it has a tendency for the metallic strand to break, even with a metafil needle. It's hot here at the moment (about 37c or 100f) and that doesn't help with the snapping either. Sooooo, I'm sewing along slowly, which is mind numbing.

The second reason I'm finding it tough is because I keep seeing gorgeous projects on other peoples blogs I want to try. I think the amount we want to work on something else is directly proportionate to how fast the deadline is approaching.

And on the topic of other blogs, please forgive me for not leaving more comments and catching up at the moment. I'm stopping by when I can, but I'm feeling horribly behind. I promise to catch up properly ASAP!

Mum's quilt is finished, save for sewing down the binding on the back. While I'm doing that I'll snip off any little fuzzies I find. I tidied them away on the front of the quilt while I was quilting it, but the back is going to be another story!

I promise you all, should my Mum not care for it (and I feel sure the chances are slim at best) that I will let one of you give it a good home. You've all been so kind offering to take it in *smiles* should it find itself oprhaned!

16 comments:

ForestJane said...

You said:

"I'm stopping by when I can, but I'm feeling horribly behind."

Don't feel bad - I have a horrible behind too... think it's all that sitting and sewing?

*giggles*

Hanne said...

Placemat day here too, with a decorative thread breaking a lot yesterday. I will do the very quick version on the binding though - sewing it down from back to front with a decorative thread and a decorative stitch.
I have 4 in the binding stage now. If time is on my side I could use 6 more for another gift. If I don't make it I have to buy something. Placemats would be lovelier though. Where did the time go ?? ;-)

Susan said...

I think everyone is busy and understands.

The chance of that quilt being homeless are about a million to one. Or less. =)

Cynthia said...

i'm sure you'll get the Christmas mats done in time. Love the fabrics you have used.

By the way, i have my hand up also just in case your mum doesn't want the quilt.LOL

Samantha said...

good luck in the home stretch! I'm sure you can get the placements done in time.

Unknown said...

You're very brave to attempt the metallic thread under the pressure of holiday deadlines. That stuff is tricky and challenging at the best of times. Please post a photo of the whole quilt when you are able. It looks glorious.

Angie said...

I love your Christmas mats, Tazzie! I think I may have some of that fabric in the center...adding the logs around them is a wonderful idea. :D

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Metallic thread snapped ALOT on my machines too - until I decided NOT to thread it through all the tension guages - I taped some bent paperclips to the machine to use as thread guides - and that worked! One 1 machine - it was the top guage - on another - the side one - so try experimenting with that if you have time... but if you get the thread to stop snapping it will be worth the time! Also - you could try using a thinner bobbin thread - I use special bobbin thread that is often used for machine embroidery... good luck - I KNOW how frustrating it is to have snapping thread.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Laurie Ann said...

Great placemats! I am doing some too and are on the last four. I swear I will be mailing them out tomorrow!! I did quilt as you go, so that helped. Although closer quilting would probably have been a good idea on mine.

Ms. Jan said...

Lovely placemats! Thread isn't the only thing that frays when the temp outside is that warm--nerves too! I'm sure your mum will love her quilt, it is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Naughty thread or not, the placemats are looking wonderful! The centre blocks are lovely :-)

Shelina said...

That is an incredibly quilt, and I am sure that your Mom will just love it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Sorry about the thread frustrations slowing you down. No fun at all. Your mum will love the quilt. Merry Christmas!

Darcie said...

I keep a can of silicone spray from Sullivans on hands. A little woosh of that on the spool of tricky thread often helps. It is meant specifically for sewing...do not use silicone spray from hubby's garage! ;-)

Your Mum's quilt is fabulous. She'll be overjoyed!

Susan said...

I can feel your excitement of a job well done here.

Beautiful mats and quilt.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your mum's quilt is sooo gorgeous. Could you email me if this is a pattern from somewhere - I really like it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails