Friday, January 21, 2022

Spending time with my sewing machine ...

I spent quite a bit of time with my sewing machine this past week, more than I have in a little while. My version of Marti Michell's free block friday quilt top is finished:

I'm super happy with how it came together. You can see why I didn't want to use the two blocks that had frames around them - they really wouldn't have worked with the layout I had in mind. This is not a large quilt, and obviously with the cute 30's prints, it's going to be given to our sweet Mary. My plan is to baste it this afternoon, and if I'm inspired I'll start quilting this evening. I'll use a white thread and a simple allover design.

The piecing for this quilt made me kind of crazy. I had all kinds of trouble with my sewing machine and it's tension. I prefer to piece with the Bernina 34D sewing foot, and step my needle to the right to position 4 for a perfect quarter inch seam. About 99 percent of the time, this works so well, I'm definitely no novice piecer! Some of the 30's prints were extremely thin, and the change in tension when I stepped the needle over caused all kinds of puckering with the seams. It absolutely didn't matter what changes I made to the setup - I simply couldn't combat it. I ended up reverting back to the normal 37D quarter inch foot and had much more success. The quarter inch foot isn't my favourite for piecing generally, as with the wide 9mm feed dogs the fabric can tend to trail away when you get to the end of the seam. I'm thinking I'll have to spend the $100.00 odd dollars and get a 97D foot at some point. I'd rather not, but we will see!

In the times I didn't feel like piecing, I put a few more stitches in the white wholecloth and was able to move the hoop:

A fresh new area to put some stitches in on the left with the light of my lamp beaming on it. And where I have already been on the right with just the light of the room showing the contours. I'm going to absolutely love this quilt when it's finished!

I shared these photos earlier in the week on Instagram, I'm slowly starting to get more tech savvy and use the apps more with the encouragement and assistance of my lovely daughter. Feel free to follow me there, I've popped a button on the top right so you can find me.

Last of all for today where I'm at with the paint splodging. I can see how these paint by numbers projects could absolutely become addictive. 

I'm making myself finish this up before I begin stitching on the felt elf ornaments. I just have too many things on the go at the moment and it makes my brain crazy!

Anyway, that's where I am this week ... let's see what I can achieve during this coming week! Chatter soon! xox

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To prevent the fabric pulling into the needle hole use thread kitties to sew off at the end of chain piecing. That's what Bonnie Hunter uses leader/enders for.

Kyle said...

Awesome quilt top. The pieces border works so perfectly with the blocks. Sorry about the tension problem. Those things drive me crazy!LOL

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Although I did not comment on each block, I have watched your quilt come together. You did a beautiful job with a 1930’s scrappy quilt. It is not over powering and looks beautiful. All of your work is beautiful! So creative and so talented! Have a great week-end. Hugs

Alison said...

Of course with my love of all things 1930's, I really like the quilt top you have made.

If you can buy the 97D you would love it - it comes with a little guide that you screw onto the machine so the fabric feeds perfectly into the foot. I also have a single hole plate which makes piecing so much better.

Yesterday I finished a new quilt top - Winter Houses by Edyta Sitar, only I used my stash of teals and matching blues with a dark background. Scattered with snowflakes appliqued on to it, I am very pleased. While unable to sleep last night a good thought came to me and I will spiral quilt it! Yay! I have done it before so know it works - as long as I remember to quilt clockwise!

Janet said...

Love the 30s quilt top. As soon as I saw it I thought a great quilt for your granddaughter.
I know I've said it before but you will have an heirloom whole cloth quilt. The quilting it perfect. I can't to see the finished paint by numbers, also how you decide to quilt the 30s top.
Take care and have a great weekend.

Carol in Texas said...

Tazzie, I have not really been impressed with your Marti Michel blocks, but put together they make a charming quilt! I love the way you have set them. I look forward to seeing it quilted!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails