Thursday, September 22, 2016

My happy news :-)

Recently the Royal Adelaide Show was held in town - it's a fun week for us here in the city with so many things going on. The carnival rides and sideshow alley for the young and young at heart, the agricultural side of the show with farm animals/equestrian events etc, crazy amounts of showbags for all ages, and also the competition part of the show with all sorts of categories from pets to plants, cookery and craft.

I love to enter a quilt or two when I have something ready, and this year I decided to enter two projects. You've seen them both before, but it can't hurt to revisit them right?

My Montmellick quilt fitted right into the hand quilted category, and this year there was a special category for nine patch quilts, so I decided that Omigosh! would be perfect for that one. After I knew the judging was completed I waited a few days before I checked the show website, and received the happy news that both quilts had placed first in their categories!!

Here is my Omigosh with her first place ribbon. I'm so happy it did so well! :-)

And I also had the happy news that my Montmellick quilt won best quilt in show! I was just so thrilled! You can see her two ribbons in the picture. Yay!!

Amy and I visited the show one evening after work, and we had a really great time. My sweet girl is a real thrill seeker and wanted to hit the rides in sideshow alley. I love roller coasters, but some of those rides at shows leave me a little sweaty ... I don't know how she did it, but Amy convinced me to go on the biggest scariest ride there. It's called Speed 2 - I found a video on YouTube from a few years ago:



It was actually really fun, but I definitely didn't need to go on any more rides after that!! We got busy eating the obligatory carnival food, and after purchasing a bunch of show bags and watching the fireworks, we were super tired and ready to head home. What a great night out with my girl :-)

In other news, I wanted to share a quick snap of Norma's finished peacock block:

It's really cute isn't it? She's made it up into a cushion as a gift for her daughter. I am absolutely certain she  must love it! :-)

And finally for today, I just wanted to share a couple of fabric purchases I made at work today. There's a 50% off sale in the back room, so I was determined to give a few pieces of fabric a good home :-)

How could I leave behind a couple of Di Ford-Hall fabrics? And the Jo Morton in the middle there too? They'll live nicely in my stash until I have a project ready for them.

And this fabric will be super cute for a Christmas project I'm sure. I don't have any ideas right now, but I won't be able to think of anything until I've finished the top of the Caswell project. Surely it can't be long now?

So, today I added 5.5 metres of fabric to the stash. At the beginning of the year I stated that I wanted to end the year with less fabric in my sewing room than I started with - it's fair to say that I've done very poorly with that goal. Maybe next year I'll work on much faster projects and I'll get through more of the stash? Who knows??

Thank you all for the lovely comments you send my way. I'm behind with mail at the moment and promise to respond as soon as I can. And a big Hi to Janet who always sends the kindest notes - your email address doesn't pop up with your comments so I'm not able to reply.

It's getting late now, so I'll have to dash and catch some zzzz's. Chatter soon! xoxox

19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congratulations on both quilts - they are both very deserving of the awards!!

Missy Shay said...

Congratulations on your wins, they are great!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Woohoo! Congratulations! I'm not surprised at all, they are both spectacular. I used to love rides like that when I was young, but now I can't even watch the video! Your friend's peacock is delightful. And I love your new acquisitions. Jo doesn't do much ink so you are lucky to find that one! I look forward to seeing what you do with the birds. Happy quilting.

Frog Quilter said...

Both quilts are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are so deserving of awards...they are both such gorgeous quilts! Congratulations!

Kyle said...

Two beautiful quilts with some well deserving ribbons. The nine patch is outstanding.

jude's page said...

Congratulations, well deserved ribbons. Your hand work is amazing, says a girl who can't even hold a needle!

Phyllis said...

Congratulations on winning the ribbons, both of your quilts are beautiful and the Omigosh is just stunning.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, I love the Omigosh...

Gretchen Weaver said...

Congratulations on your ribbons! That is such a satisfying feeling. I have the OMG pattern but haven't been brave enough to start yet. Maybe next year? Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Janet said...

Congratulations on the win. It is beautiful. Waiting patiently for your Caswell. I am sure those Cardinals will make it into something wonderful for Christmas.
mudd4chewee@gmail.com

Sue said...

Well done Tazzie and congratulations. A very well deserved deserved win with both quilts. 😁
Your work is fantastic!

Judy Dietrich said...

Congrats on the blue ribbons!! I love your Omigosh quilt. All those scraps in one place and the tiny pieces. It is on the Quilt Bucket List!! Your Medallion quilt is awesome too, as the ribbons show. You are so good at finishing things & are my quilt hero!! Glad you had a fun night with your daughter. That is the most important time of all!!

CathyC said...

Congratulations! I had the pleasure of seeing your quilt 'in the flesh' so to speak - up close and personal - when I visited the Show on 6th September. I was just gobsmacked at the sheer number of all those tiny little 9 patches :) beautiful work! It certainly deserves the title of Omigosh!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on both of your beautiful wins! I really admire you for even finishing the Oh My Gosh quilt!

NickiJ said...

Go you - congratulations!

Teresa Rawson said...

Congratulations on your wins and ribbons...could not have happened to a better quilter! I started that OMG quilt before moving and set it aside...at my retreat last weekend I made 9 of Sue's "Prairie Queen" shoo fly blocks for her "Afternoon Delight" quilt. They took me forever to piece and they are larger than the ones in the OMG quilt, LOL. I may have to rethink my delving into the OMG quilt, which has a TON of those. THAT quilt of yours deserves all the ribbons it can collect and after all your work on it, you should enter it into every show you can!!! Sooo glad your Montmelick quilt won best of show. I always love to see these quilts again and again.

Raewyn said...

Congratulations on your success!! Two very beautiful quilts - and now I'm doubly inspired to continue on with my OMG which is very much in the starting stages!!!

ruthsplace said...

Congratulations on your wins, they are well deserved. I just adore your friend's peacock, it's such fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails