Monday, June 27, 2016

Bits and Pieces ...

This week I had to make up another block for my Caswell project. I was putting the top together when I realised I'd appliqued one of the bird blocks on the wrong background fabric. Luckily it was a block that wasn't a favourite, and rather than make the same block again, I opted to make a completely different one:

This is the one I chose - it's F1 from the pattern. Apologies for the poor quality of the picture, I had to nick the picture from my Facebook page and it doesn't seem to have copied across well. I have no idea what I did with the picture from my phone?? My friend Wendy came over not so long after I made the decision to replace the block, and she took the reject home happily and is going to make a cushion with it. Happy days!

The next picture I wanted to share with you is one from class last week. One of my sweet ladies Norma is working on an applique pattern by Wendy Williams:

This is one of her first serious attempts at applique and doesn't it look just fabulous? Some of those points are tricky even for a seasoned stitcher! The original pattern was done in felt, but Norma wanted to use regular cotton fabric, and I'm thrilled that she's doing so well!

In other news, at work recently I was able to do a little machine quilting on a machine I've never touched before, it's a big beastie!!



I'd like to spend some more time playing with this bad boy, I love all the space around the needle. At home I still have Bernie to play with, but it never hurts to broaden my horizons!

Last of all for today, exciting times ahead for January:

Fair to say we're addicted to cruising now, and we've booked another one. I simply cannot wait ... 6 months and counting! :-) :-)

Chatter soon!


7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never seen a machine like the one show here - I must admit I do not have any shops around here and I have not been running around much the last couple years to look for a new machine. Love your applique as always.

Karen said...

I like the bird done in purples for your Caswell block. I have never done a purple bird. Food for thought as it works so well.

Kyle said...

Sorry you had to do a block over again, but this new one looks great with its purple bird and all. I've just become familiar with Wendy W. patterns via Quiltmania. Norma's block is super fun. It's nice to have special things to look forward to. It will be time to cruise before you know it.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Love the replacement block and I am happy to hear that the original will be put to good use. Norma's block is sensational. I need to get more daring!

loulee said...

Love that Chook. Such bright, fun coloures. As always im in awe of your work too. Such beautiful blocks.

Janet said...

Love the block. Your friend Norma looks like she has been applquing for years. Beautiful work. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful projects.

ruthsplace said...

Love your block and your student's block is amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails