Friday, November 20, 2015

Two Caswell blocks ...

It has been a busy week, with a few days worked at the shop, being back into the school run/tennis routine, so I haven't managed to prepare a newsy post for you. I did want to share two applique blocks for you though, so here goes:

Caswell Quilt - Block C3

I just put the final stitches in this block last night, and I'm quite happy with it. I was a little naughty though - in the original pattern, the large leaves have much bumpier edges, and because I felt it didn't really add anything to the finished look of the block (the focus is really the berries and the petals) I smoothed out the edge of the leaves to make them easier to appliqué. I'm thrilled with the fabric I chose for the big leaves - it's a real oldie from the stash :-)

Caswell Quilt - Block A5

This is the block I mentioned in my last post that I finished on the ship. It's quite cute, I've used some real oldies from the stash once again - isn't it fun to find fabrics we haven't seen around in a while. It seems I will need to be a little gentler with my embroidery stitches - I think I'm pulling them a little tight. I'm a much better quilter than embroiderer, that is certain!

I was chatting to my lovely friend Linda today, and when we mentioned this project - she said she likes block E2 which has a sweet bird on it, so I'll make that one up next. It will use my alternate background fabric, which is basically the same tone French General fabric, but with a little print on it, how fun :-)

In other fun news, I was asked if my Montmellick Mastered quilt can travel to Melbourne in April next year to the AQC show. I'm thrilled for my quilt to be one of those representing our state, so of course I said yes! And while I was at the show, I got some more pictures of my quilt, so when I get organised, I'll share those with you also. Chatter soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both blocks are wonderfully done and I like the various fabrics. It is hard to find time to blog when schedules are busy not to mention sewing time. Congrats on your quilt going to Melbourne.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Your applique is stunning and I love your color choices. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Kyle said...

I love looking at all the different fabrics you've used and resurrected from your stash. Your applique is beautiful. I especially like the first block with all those berries and feathery flowers. Two sets of challenging applique pieces.

Linda said...

Wow. Just wow!

AnnieO said...

Gorgeous! I love your color mixing and perfect appliqué. Congrats on your quilt traveling for more to see and admire!

Sue said...

Your blocks are gorgeous as usual Tazzie, and I love your fabric choices. I am hoping to go to AQC next April, so will be able to see your quilt!!What is your method for making those tiny circles?

Karen said...

The C3 block.....all those little curved flower parts are done oh so well. I have the pattern set but never started on it. Seeing yours makes me want to pull it out and start. I think I will at least get the pattern out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails