Monday, December 09, 2013

ANZAC Biscuits

Finally I remembered to take a nicer picture of the Anzac Biscuits that I've been making lately. They are my hubby's very favourite thing, and he loves it that I try to keep some on hand at all times. This is a very traditional recipe, given to me by my sweet friend Norma.



Anzac Biscuits:

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.

One cup of coconut
One cup of plain flour
One cup of sugar
One cup of rolled oats
Quarter teaspoon of salt

Mix together the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

115 grams of butter
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Melt the above ingredients in a pyrex jug. One minute in the microwave should do it :-)

1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
2 tablespoons of boiling water

Mix the two above ingredients together in a small bowl, and then add to the melted butter mix. It will foam up nicely.

Add the melted butter mix to the dry ingredients and combine well. Roll into small balls and bake for 12-15 minutes. I place 12 per tray, and leave room between the biscuits for spreading. This recipe makes approximately 24 biscuits.

Note:
This is the recipe exactly as Norma gave it to me. I have made a few small changes to suit me (and my pesky oven). I set my oven to 160 degrees celsius as it seems to always run hot and burn things - but play with your oven and see what results you get. Also, hubby prefers cookies that are a little more crunchy than chewy, so I actually bake them for 18 minutes. Generally I add a little more butter to the mixture - not much - but I usually use between 120 and 130 grams. Just depends on how accurate I care to be when I'm chopping up the butter. And lastly, a couple of times I've forgotten to add the salt, but I don't think it really matters as I usually only have salted butter in the house - all balances out.

If you make them, let me know how you go, have fun!

9 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Yummy!

Nancy said...

I have a very similar recipe. I add shelled sunflower seeds to mine. Yummy!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

does the name of the biscuits/cookies mean anything - the word ANZAC looks familiar to me (Australia-New Zealand something to do with military? I read alot and know I have seen it)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I knew it sounded so familiar that I looked it up - yes dates back to WWI - I thought maybe WWII

Pip said...

That's the same recipe I have Tazzie, I always cover the butter/syrup mix when I microwave it, (it helps if it splatters)

Anzac biscuits are also very nice with a small scoop of ice-cream sandwiched between two of them.

Sue said...

Thanks for the reminder about these bikkies Tara. I went straight into the kitchen and made a batch. Turned out great. I put 3/4 cup sugar instead of 1 cup. Next time will try 1/2 cup. 180 in my oven for about 18 mins. They were nice and crunchy as we like them! :-)

ruthsplace said...

We omit the coconut and put dried cranberries in ours...

Sheila said...

I am sure that 's the same recipe i used at school, (lonnng time ago) minus the vanilla, i don't remember using that. more recently i have read to get them more crunchy than chewy add a little more golden syrup. These will be on the baking list when i have my grand daughters over the holidays . Thanks for posting, I'll Pin it so i can find it quickly.

Nan V. said...

Tazzie, is the coconut you used sweetened or not? They sell it both ways here in the US, just not sure if that's the same for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails