My scrap quilt 'A Galaxy of Scraps' is quilted! Whew - it seemed to go forever! I started quilting on it at 11.30pm Saturday night, and I finished up around half an hour ago. (4.15 Monday afternoon)
This quilt ended up being bigger than I had envisioned. It's 216cm or 85" square. That's the size I drew it up at, but I didn't really make the size connection until I made the back up. I did the usual thing of joining two pieces of yardage together, selvedge to selvedge, and when I sandwiched the quilt, there was literally 1/4" of backing fabric to spare on each side of the quilt. Normally I would add more, but this time I decided to just go with it and see what happened. Luckily, the quilt didn't 'take up' too much, and I'm find to apply the binding. If I'm a really good girl, I'll get the binding sewn on tonight, ready for hand sewing over the next few evenings.
One of my favourite parts of piecing scrap quilts is using up all my leftover bobbin threads, and odd reels of leftover cotton. I used up a lot with this quilt! I used up six leftover reels, and almost all the bobbin bits and pieces. It always makes me feel very thrifty *vbs*.
Unfortunately over the weekend I didn't get an opportunity to get back to the quilt show - we had too many visitors yesterday to get out for any length of time. Disappointing, because I wanted to get back and look at the quilt show - and I also wanted to meet Mereth and Kerryn - they were going to be there on the weekend. I consoled myself with a flying visit to Spotlight. I needed some more taupe thread for the back of the quilt, and while I was there I found some actual reproduction fabrics packaged up as fat quarters. I treated myself to a couple, and Cameron found a cute fabric with Soccer balls on it that he just had to have. I forgot to take a picture of the fabric - so I'll share it with my next post.
I better run - I need to get dinner on the go. Talk to you soon! x o x